• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to change you spark plugs, EP3 & DC5

HavenÂ’t written a guide for a while so thought I do one for changing spark plugs. I did the job on my CTR, but I think the DC5 is the same

Please note this is just a guide on the way I do it.....so please donÂ’t blame me if it goes breasts up :lol:

Before i started I checked the gap was correct on my new plugs with a set of feeler gauges, I set the gap to 1.0mm

gap.JPG

First step on the car is to remove the 4 10mm nuts seen in the pic below, this will let you remove the cover and gain access to the coil packs

pic1.JPG

Next unplug all the connections to coil packs. Push in the little blue tab and pull to release them.

pic2.JPG

Carefully lift out the 2 collars that are seen in the pic below, being careful not to drop them.

pic9a.JPG

Lift off the black plastic piece that contains all the cables and push it back out the way. Then with a 12m socket remove the 4 bolts holding in the coil packs, making note of where the studded ones go.

pic3.JPG

Now pull each coil pack up in turn, they can be a bit tight

pic4.JPG

I dont think it really matters, but best to keep them in the order they was removed

pic5.JPG

Now its time to remove the old plugs. The access tube down to the plugs is very tight, I found i had to use my 3/8 drive ratchet, extension bar and 10mm plug socked.

pic6.JPG

Heres a pic of a new and old plug

pic7.JPG

Before fitting new plugs its recommended to put some anti-seize grease on the threads of the plugs to stop them rusting, personally I donÂ’t think its worth doing on the CTR as they are well hidden away.

Place the new plug in the plug socket and drop the plug down with the extension bar, only do the plug up finger tight at first. Once all plugs are in its time to torque them.....I never use a torque wrench to do plugs as I prefer to do it by feel. But if you want to use a torque wrench torque them to 18nm

Now put in the coil packs, pushing down firmly while lining them up with the bolt holes. Replace the bolts in the correct order. Be careful not to over tighten or your could break the plastic.

pic8.JPG

Lift the plastic loom back into place and push the connectors back in place

pic9.JPG

Refit the little collars

pic9a.JPG

The fit the silver cover and do up the 4 nuts

Job done!

Hope this helps 8)

Excellent guide, I'm sure lots of people will find it handy. 8) 8)

Hi guys just joined the forum. Can't seem to find pics for changing spark plugs on EP3. Could do with some major help!

ALso I wouldn't be putting a set of feeler guages anywhere need the plugs for the CTR. The electrode is far far to thin to be gapping a plug like that hence why they come pre gapped from manufacturing.

I'm doing my sparkplugs at the moment, and I am noticeing that once fully tightened, the socket does not come off the sparkplug and wedges itself in the gap, and only comes out once loose'nd. Due to this I've had to leave my car parked up and no longer can drive it. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

I'm doing my sparkplugs at the moment, and I am noticeing that once fully tightened, the socket does not come off the sparkplug and wedges itself in the gap, and only comes out once loose'nd. Due to this I've had to leave my car parked up and no longer can drive it. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Get a better fitting socket.

Thanks for the guide, seems pretty straight foward, i have my new plugs in the house now so i will give it ago tomorrow and let u guys know if i have any problems :)

Back