• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to install/remove an after market head unit.

Hey whilst looking for advice on removing my OEM stereo the first time I did it I noticed there wasn't a guide, so I took a few pics whilst I was removing my after market head unit and chucked this together.

I tried searching again before posting this and came a blank so forgive me if this is a re post of sorts.

Tools for the job,

8mm spanner
14mm spanner
Philips screwdriver

1. Remove Gear Knob,

Using the 14mm spanner undo nut under the Gear Knob,
step2.jpg

Then unscrew the Gear Knob by hand,
step3.jpg

2. Pushing your hand into the Gear stick gator gently pull away from dash. Be careful not to pull too hard as you can snap the plastic clips that hold it to the dash and you can also cause damage to the wires that connect the cigarette lighter and Hazard warning light button.
step4.jpg

3. Disconect the wires connecting the cigarette lighter and Hazard warning light button.
step5.jpg

4. Now remove the screws holding the centre section in place, there is another screw on the left hand side.
step6-1.jpg

5. This is the tricky bit so be patient. You need to loosen these screws which stop the centre section pulling forward.
step7-1.jpg

Using your screwdriver loosen the left hand bolt as shown below.
I find for the left side it’s easier to gain access from the glove box. There is no need to remove the glove box just squeeze the sides and it will fall forward making access easier.
step8.jpg

The right side is more tricky but still doable, I used a long 8mm spanner which I find works but better would be to use a 8mm socket on one of these bad boys, http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_199175_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

6. Once loose pul thel center console towards you being carful not to snap any clips again and bob’s your uncle its out,
step9.jpg

7. Remove and install new/old stereo and you’re done.
finished.jpg

Cheers guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice guide:cool:

I'll be looking to replace my standard HU soon enough, so i'll be using this guide, thanks;)

Great guide and good job. I'll better follow these instruction before changing the head unit myself. Thanks

nice write up

i will be taking mine out tomorrow to spray it.

just a question... how do all the bits come out like the fans, knobs, gear gaitor etc

nice write up

i will be taking mine out tomorrow to spray it.

just a question... how do all the bits come out like the fans, knobs, gear gaitor etc

The gear gaitor comes out as one piece (picture 4) with the hazard lights and ciggy lighter, which you need to unclip. Then after loosening the two bolts for the main frame of the centre console the whole lot comes out (picture 8), fan ducts, HU, knobs the whols shabang.

Hope this helps?

Scott

Thanks scott, what i meant was how do i take the buttons out etc so i can spray the plastic trim (which i found that they were all individually screwed down) ... what a pain!

its all sorted now though ive posted pics in my thread in members cars section :)

Thanks scott, what i meant was how do i take the buttons out etc so i can spray the plastic trim (which i found that they were all individually screwed down) ... what a pain!

its all sorted now though ive posted pics in my thread in members cars section :)

Ah my bad dude :oops: Hope you get it sorted :D

I took mine out to spray the centre console and change the head-unit. Got to be one of the most annoying head units to change ever!!

Thanks for the guide was wondering how you could get them out. Just slipped straight out in my old focus ah well should be fun! ill try it on the weekend.

Just marking this up so I can do it later in the week.

Looks like a bit of a ball ache compared to other cars! Not to hard, just fiddly!

I reckon the within the next few times I take mine out its going to snap by the hazard switch. That side refuses to come out easily.

why do you take it out so often?

*Installed HU
*Installed short shifter
*Hazard light stopped working, sorted that out
*Short shifter screws were loose, tightened them up
*Replaced short shifter screws after 2 disappeared into dark abyss.

:lol:

Back