• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to wire up an Omex Sequential Shift Light

After a few false starts(!) i'm now pleased to say that mine is fully working and fuss free!
icon_lol.gif

There are 3 wires to connect:
RED: Coil +ve, or switched Live
BLUE: Coil -ve, or ECU Tacho out
BLACK: Ground

You just need to route the cables so that:
a) the control box is reachable when you turn the ignition key.
b) the LED module can reach the instrument binnacle. The module is about the size of an AA battery. Mine is sited at the 8 o'clock area, next to the Rev Counter. It is vertically attached using velcro, so that the LEDs illuminate upwards.

I originally planned to hard wire it into the spark plug loom, but that proved to be a bit of a guessing game.
icon_redface.gif

So, I eventually found out from Hondata, that the ECU Tacho out (aka RPM signal) is the sole BLUE wire on the K20 ECU's "E" connector (the one on its own, out of the three connectors).

1) Disconnect the battery
2) Connect the BLACK wire to a suitable Grounding point on the chassis (the fixings are supplied)
3) Splice (or wire tap) the BLUE wire to the ECU Tacho out which is also BLUE
4) Splice the RED to a switched Live. I used the YELLOW wire behind the cigar lighter. Not the black! You may want to wire in an in-line fuse for your own peace of mind.

Set the Shift Lamp maximum RPM, and Lamp intervals as per the instructions supplied.
Put everything back together, reconnect the battery and all connectors, fire it up and VTEC away!
wootle2.gif

26082009309.jpg

26082009310.jpg

On my mechanically standard (for now) CTR, the settings are:
Max RPM shift point: 7800, allowing for my delay in shifting time
LED interval: 600

So, Green1 lights @ 6000, Green2 @ 6600, Amber @ 7200, Red @ 7800.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it from Demon Tweeks, about £115 ish

You can get it elsewhere, but the savings aren't that much after posting etc

;)

I got mine off egay for about £70 but I wired a buzzer into mine for a neat install.

Nice bit of kit.

i'm hoping this Rev app i've got for the iPhone will do something like this, just waiting for the wifi transmitter to arrive from the us.

Omex

Hi Wonder if you can help? I am trying to wire a Omex Sequential shift light to a Honda Integra Type R (1999) I connected it as the manual Ie: Red to coil +, Blue to coil -, and black to ground. But it does not work I checked all connections for continuiaty and are all okay.When you turn on the Ignition does anything light up? I even put a fuse on the live just in case. If by some chance If I got the wrong wires could I have damaged the unit?

Thank you John

Hi John
IIRC, when I wired in an Omex to my DC2, i also struggled getting a decent signal via the coil wires. I gave up in the end and took the red off a switched live and the blue connected to the ECU tacho out signal. If you can find out which one this is on your ECU, i would recommend using that.
Turning on the ignition does not light anything up, when you set the key to position 2 (instrument warning lights on), you should be able to initialise the unit to set the light sequences by pressing the buttons as instructed.
If you are sure that you connected to the correct wires from the coil, i doubt you'd have damaged it. I also remember that identifying the correct wires from the coil pack was a nightmare too, soldering them in was a leap of faith! lol

Back