• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How wide can you go on rear tyres? 17" rims, EP3

As title, I'm thinking of trying 235/40/17 semi slicks

Do I need to remove any arch liners, or knock the inner arches back?

I don't remember my wheel offset but they protrude about 8mm more than standard

Very unlikely to work. I have an 8J wide wheel with 225/45/17 and I had to remove the arch liners, roll the arches, add an additional 0.5 degree of negative camber, and raise the ride height on my coilovers slightly to get the tyres to stop rubbing.

The rear arches aren't very accommodating. :lol:

I think you'll struggle with a 235 aswell as I'm having trouble with my 225/45/17 at the min and thats with arches rolled. Depending on your wheel you should be able to get them on the front though, I can't with my wheel offset unless I were to buy the gentleman above front j's wings. Just bare in mind track tyres tend to be abit bigger than your average road tyre aswell

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm talking about 40 profiles chaps not 45's :) Big difference.

I've had 45's on there and yes they rubbed hence the drop in wall size.

The profile is a percentage of the width isn't it? So wouldn't the "height" of a 40 profile from a 235 wide tyre be pretty similar to a 45 profile on a narrower one?

It might be possible with an adjustment in wheel ET, extra negative camber, and firmer coilover settings; but it's a lot to spend to only discover that it wasn't possible.

The profile is a percentage of the width isn't it? So wouldn't the "height" of a 40 profile from a 235 wide tyre be pretty similar to a 45 profile on a narrower one?

It might be possible with an adjustment in wheel ET, extra negative camber, and firmer coilover settings; but it's a lot to spend to only discover that it wasn't possible.

Yes it is a percentage of the width but a 235/40 will be a lot lower in the arch than say a 225/45

Back