• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 I am a total car noob but the Ep3 has always been my dream car since i was about 10.

So the only catch is this.... this was his response regarding history. He's owned it since it was 4 months old.

Full history but there is a small catch which can be frustrating. I lost I few things when moving around. So when I decided to sell I got a new service book which only has last service on because the garages will only stamp what they did. The other issue is the wheel nut. I lost it so you will have to get one from a Honda garage. Lastly it's due for its 75k service. I plan to discount the asking and reduce it by £250 because of these 3 reasons

He doesn't want to sell but costs too much to import and switch the seats over apparently.

I'd really want the fully stamped book or invoices for services, one or the other is fine. Is he saying its missing both both?

I'd really want the fully stamped book or invoices for services, one or the other is fine. Is he saying its missing both both?

A normal person keeps them together? Who would have them separately? If you lose one, you lose both.

It might be obvious if it's been looked after/serviced when you see and or drive it. Sure you might want a stamped book for next time you sell it but if you're keeping it for the foreseeable future then maybe not a huge issue personally.

Quite a few trade cars I have been to see in the past always seem to have stamped books but a distinct lack of paperwork. I thought it was strange too, i guess some folk dont like clutter?

And my last question when you check it's MOT history he has done so so few miles each year, and city style driving so the Vtech won't have been used much I doubt, should this concern me? What do I need to do to test that the Vtech is strong and healthy? He said he'd driven it had been a while since he boosted her. But then I know Honda engines are reliable but if the Vtech hasn't been used much at all wil it have faded / weakened??

If the Vtech doesn't work is it something that's fixable?

If VTEC doesn't work you have any manner of issues that can cause it, blocked oil channels, low oil pressure, failed solenoids or other electrical issue, etc.

It'd have to be going for a song (almost literally) if one of the primary aspects of that engine wasn't working. As Hazz says, if no VTEC (after the engine has reached operating temperature and you're actually moving (rev limiter kicks in on facelift models at 5,500rpm, below VTEC engagement point, when the car is stationary), avoid.

I would agree, avoid.

Back to the original point, no rush. In a couple of days you've already found 2 which you're pretty much willing to buy. Loads will pop up, take your time and get what you want... I.e FSH, good seller, good exterior/interior. Plenty about to not have to compromise on a vehicle which doesn't meet your requirements.

Impeccable except for the main feature of the car is broken? It's either a poorly looked after engine or has electrical gremlins... either way, not worth your hassle. There's thousands of these cars out there, just bide your time and wait for the right one. Don't save £500 now to find out you need a new engine in 3 months.

But there isn't anything wrong with the engine? He hasn't said there's anything wrong with the Vtech what I'm saying is he hasn't pushed it into Vtec ranges for a good long time because he lives in London so he doesn't get the chance to push the car. My question is being that the car has essentially been driven as a "normal car" will that have affected the Vtec? He says the engine is in perfect working order.

But there isn't anything wrong with the engine? He hasn't said there's anything wrong with the Vtech what I'm saying is he hasn't pushed it into Vtec ranges for a good long time because he lives in London so he doesn't get the chance to push the car. My question is being that the car has essentially been driven as a "normal car" will that have affected the Vtec? He says the engine is in perfect working order.

It sounds plausible, no issues so long as it works fine. No need to 'gamble' on a car which doesn't have service history though, it could be well maintained and perfect but I personally wouldn't risk it. Each to their own and if you're happy, grab it.

If it haven't been booted into VTEC range recently, it doesn't necessarily meant that VTEC will not engage the second cam properly when you do rev it up.

But if it actually doesn't shift into second cam at the right RPM with a warm engine and while on the move, just avoid.

The only thing that happens if you don't engage vtec for prolong periods is the IACV will become clogged. It's a couple hours of a job to remove, clean and refit. No biggie.

As has been previously said, there's plenty of these cars out there. It'll pay to wait for te right example that ticks EVERY box.

What people are trying to explain is without paperwork or service stamp book then worst case scenario the car might have had little or no oil changes.

Also the valve service is due every 25k and if theres no evidence of one so far, you have to assume it hasn't been done so it definately needs checking @75k. This isnt a major cost but £100 on top of a normal service. The problem is how long the engine may have ran with tight clearances and crap oil, has damage already been done? These cars can take a thrashing but they need to be serviced. Its one thing for an engine to make it to 75k but will it make it beyond 100k if its been neglected early in its life?

This is why paperwork is crucial and is probably why he hasn't already sold the car during the 24 days(!) the advert has been on. You will have to decide what that means to you and judge the car on inspection if you go ahead. It would put me off personally.

Back