• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 I am a total car noob but the Ep3 has always been my dream car since i was about 10.

+1 AEM/Injen CAI makes a great noise. Better noise than a guppe M IMO. Deeper growl to it and less of a metallic twang. Strange hiss when you turn it off though :lol:

Induction kit wise all you need to know is this: Don't buy an open cone that sits above the exhaust manifold (AEM v2, K&N Typhoon etc etc). It'll make the nice noise but you'll lose a little power. Spend the small amount extra and get the cold air intake (sits in wheel arch or ram scoop above bonnet).

Tegiwa + air scoop sounds better than my old ep3 which had a cone induction with heat shield. Also I find throttle response is noticeably different in comparison to cone.. my experience of course

So I was going to pay for Gruppe M but now I've been reading somewhere and a few YouTube videos it sounds a bit metallic and raspy, what I really want is a deeper tone more of a rumble. Sadly I've watched a few videos now with B pipe changes and nothing else and it does make the car sound a bit tinny I don't know if that is just due to the YouTube video or just that they've chosen an average B pipe. The one I was going to buy is the one Chris suggested earlier in this thread. In terms of the AEM CAI I get scared off by the things I read online about water being sucked in and potential engine damage, my ep3 is my daily driver and we all know that heavy rain is something that is possible in the U.K haha..... I want to keep OEM exhaust and I will up until the point it needed changing if any of the changes I want to do require me to do so but I would pay for the Fuji legalis. Already decided all of the money from selling my old car is going straight into my Honda there's just so many decisions to make.

In terms of water getting in... unless you're missing your N/S arch, or planning to go fording a lot (not a good idea in any car let alone a civic) you're unlikely to get issues. The AEM sits nice and high up in the bay anyway...!? Unless I'm thinking of a different one.

If you're really worried, could always get a hydro shield for winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By water shield are you referring to a "sock" as I keep reading about as a counter to water being sucked in? My only thoughts with that are surely it will take away some of the modifications ability to suck in air if there is some kind of sock/shield protecting it? I know to drive slowly through any large build ups of water etc but the fact that heavy rain could potentially damage my engine isn't a nice thought......

Heavy rain on it's own isn't going to damage it unless you're missing something like an arch or panel! If it did the OEM intake would have the same trouble.

You shouldn't drive through any puddle deeper than a few inches, and certainly not one deep enough to touch any typical intake. The shields are usually used when people put a CAI in front of the front N/S wheel where the battery is. I'm sure there is a small drop in the air flow, but when your intake is so close to the road it's a necessary evil.

I did over 100k miles in an ep3 with an AEM CAI, all weather conditions. Never an issue. Hydrosock will not effect performance, or not measurably at least.

Not sure I agree with the metallic or raspy comments re the gruppe M, firstly I wouldn't pay for a gruppe M when the Tegiwa is relatively cheaper and provides the same advantages (plenty of debates on this I know). I have the Tegiwa and don't hear such noises, in fact it sounds really raw in the vtec range and a deep tone when accelerating hard. I too spent weeks debating long arm CAI or scoop induction. I didn't want the short arm cone for reasons discussed already. Plenty of people have experiences like Hazz where they run long arm CAI with zero issues, and I would imagine 99.99% of the time you would be fine. In fact maybe 100%. However, what I didn't want was even the thought of 'hmm is this ok' when driving around, wasn't worth the 'mental torture ' for minimal if any performance/sound gains, again in my opinion. Horror stories do exist though and I read a few where people had royally fu**ed up their engines, but as mentioned above they probably went in to James Bond mode and tried to drive across the Thames river, unfortunately their wheels didn't flip submarine style.

Anyway, point being everyone's opinions differ, listen to them but ultimately make your own decisions. I guarantee whatever mods you do, you won't regret them anyway as they will all most likely improve your experience by either sound, power or aesthetically.
Except that steering wheel refurb your going for alacantra style :confused: ha ha. - again... my opinion!

While you're here Ep3steve: How does the Tegiwa box evict water that rolls off the bonnet into the scoop during a reasonable downpour? If it has a hole at the bottom, does that lead to a whistling noise, or is there some other smart solution?

While you're here Ep3steve: How does the Tegiwa box evict water that rolls off the bonnet into the scoop during a reasonable downpour? If it has a hole at the bottom, does that lead to a whistling noise, or is there some other smart solution?

Yes, I believe there is a drain hole in the pipe leading down in to the engine. Water won't get in to engine. Never heard an whistle noise though. It just sounds great, all the time ha

Lol steve you'll be pleased to hear since changing my gear knob I decided OEM steering wheel looks perfect in there now ;) sadly I'm left feeling super confused regarding what to do. Probably keep working this bar job and sell my car and see what the Honda pot is looking like come the end of the month, seeing as its relatively cheap I'm tempted to do the B pipe anyway just because I'm itching for some noise. Gonna look into the tegiwa a bit more this evening but multiple people have recommended the AEM V1 but I do get what you're saying regarding peace of mind..... although I know I wouldn't drive through anything to deep but I am a worrier so I guess that constant concern would be annoying.

On an EP3 (which is now minimum 12 years old) there are much bigger problems to worry about than the intake getting wet :lol:

If it's the one and you have your heart set on just get it! As has been said, you're unlikely to run into problems.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mid pipe and B pie are the same things. M2 are cheaper and just as good.

If you say you don't want a raspy sound though, you probably wont be happy with swapping the b pipe to unsilenced.
As this will create a raspy tone.
I ran one for a while years ago and loved it at the time but wouldn't go back to that set up as I prefer a full cat back.

It is all down to preference though.
They do sound fairly similar to youtube.

Swapping the induction will give you a bit more noise depth, that I think will suit your preferences better from what you have described.

Then wait and get the right exhaust

That sounds like really good advice Jimbo cheers, only problem is intakes and exhaust changes will affect my insurance quite significantly I'm sure, will get a proper quote done to see but for now I'm thinking I should wait until October when my two year "probation" period on my license is gone as I'm sure an induction kit will make me dabble in vtech quite a bit more than I do currently, I'm definitely sold on the fact I'm going to get an intake though I'm just torn between the Gruppe, Tegiwa and AEM. Exhaust I think I'll splash out and get the Legalis just so I can maintain the twin look. Does anyone know how far you can go with more while retaining the OEM box? I'm reading different numbers all over the place, one article stated 300hp? The Legalis is 800, TGM fleet quoted me 2000 for a AEM CAI, remap, and Header which will apparently transform my car so that's kind of my long term plan. For now like we all now know I just want some more noise and a B pipe even if it is raspy will probably give me that placebo.

If you're going to get a decat manifold in the future, be sure to get a silenced mid pipe or it will be ear-bleedingly-loud. You have been warned.

Back