• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

I want to upgrade car!! Discussions welcome!

I'm looking to upgrade car. I have had my ep3 2002 for nearly 3years and I am bored of it. It is bog standard, red.

I was looking to get integra, which appeals to me because it is expensive and unique which stops people getting it.

When I bought my ep3 I was very few of the ones who had one in my small town. Now every tom dick and Harry has picked up a grey type r with 5" exhausts rattling whilst repping second hand budget tyres.

I was looking at BMW 335i 2008-10

Any good in comparison to alternatives?

Let the mad discussions begin!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends what you want from a car and what your budget is. Will you use it on track? Do you want something that people will approve of, or something that is actually a good car?

What people thinks means nothing to me.

It has to be about the actual car.

I do not use it for track day.

Budget varies depending on car.

Ep3 is worth £3000 and destroys most 330i worth £7000. My ep3 can do 18mpg on a rapid run, 38mpg on a relaxed drive. M3 was an option but mpg is too expensive to drive 15,000 to 20,000 miles annually as mpg on m3 can drop well below 10mpg on a cold start short distance drive.

Money isn't the problem, it's more like it has to be worth it.

Obviously I am only talking about 2/3 cars there are soo many out there which I why I thought I would start discussion to see what people think :)

Last edited by a moderator:
EP3's have become very affordable. They're still very good cars but I know what you're saying about attracting the wrong buyers now.

If you want to stick with honda then I'd consider a DC5 or FN2. The DC5 is perfectly fine for a daily but for a little more comfort (cruise control etc) the FN2 would be a better choice.

Obviously the DC5 is the rarer of the two, but you pay more for this privilege in the car and insurance.

You say money isn't a problem. I assume you still have a budget though?

;)

1920050_10152261586595498_120152686_n.jpg

10352593_10152370578425498_4051607022235089980_n.jpg

For 15-20k a year and out of the cars you've mentioned, I'd suggest a 335i. They can do high 30 mpg no problem but do like a drink when you have some fun. They're quick, sound great and have some useful toys when well spec'd. I wouldn't entertain one without BMW warranty though, and over 60,000 miles this gets expensive. Depends on your budget.

With that age range of 2008 - 2010 he'd probably be looking at the N55 engine (same block in Harv's 135i) for a later model (LCI) they're much more reliable over the N54 block in the earlier models. They have much better fuel efficiency and better reliability so anything over 60k isn't much of an issue, but if anything does go wrong it will be a big bill but that applies to all their models really.

Also the N54 engines struggle to do high 30s (from what I've read) even with cruise control on, unless you sit at 65 and even then it's debatable.

Everything about this.

Just no.

Money isn't the problem, it's more like it has to be worth it.

EP3 getting 10mpg on cold short runs? How? Are you throwing handfuls of petrol out the window as you drive? Even turbo'd, the WORST I saw was 20 mpg.

e46 M3 will get 18-24 mpg in town 25-30 ish if drive like a granny apparently.

Cost on 20k miles a year:

Petrol price = £1.30
EP3 (normal person assuming 250-300 miles per 50litre tank) 22mpg - 27mpg = £6238 - £5156
M3 = £7734 - £5801

M3 fuel = £1496 - 645 more per year. Or at worst, £30 a week extra in fuel.

Servicing etc will be where the actual cost kicks you in the testicles.

If you balk over MPG then I imagine tears shall be shed over maintenance costs. Just ask anyone who bought an Evo...

Danga, some would argue that the N54 is more desirable over the N55.

It is IMO, well it is in my books. More tunable, depreciated a hell of a lot in comparison so will be cheaper and it has two turbos FFS, who doesn't want a car with two turbos :lol:

A lot are higher milers now, so you'll be looking at new vac lines, new turbos, wastegate rattle, injector issues, will need walnut blasting due to being DI (the newer Mini also suffers with this), I know it's been mentioned in another thread and shouldn't be an issue but you got the £490 odd RFL and then you'll be stumping out £500 odd for a BMW warranty (only on cars under 100k) in the chance that you might be footing a humungous bill from BMW to have any of the above rectified.

Some bloke on OcUK has just had £11k of warranty work done on his 335i. Unsure if it's the N54 or N55 though.

If it's the N54 changing the turbos require the engine to be dropped, so parts and labour can clock up very quickly. Plus other bits and bobs, it can be quite extreme :lol: granted I've not done a lot of reading on the N55 but that's the same engine in the M135i, the 235i and the 435i IIRC so that one sounds like it's coping well without common issues.

Had to LOL at this. "Destroys" is pretty strong considering the 330i actually manages 0-60 quicker and has a faster top end speed.

Ah ermm I forgot to mention it was the older e46 so yes that changes things.

Handling wise the ep3 is soo good. What's handling like on the 330i e92 or 335i?

Say budget is upto £10,000.

Reason I didn't factor maintenance costs in is because I already assume every car to use a few hundred, eventually thousands in costs depending on usage and age.

And...my mileage costs outweigh maintenance costs although in this case I may be wrong as I'm getting the idea that maintenance costs on cars such as 335i is extortionate?

Back