• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE PROBLEM!!

Hi Guys!

have been having IDLE PROBLEMS with my CTR, at the moment it wont idle above 500rpm if youre lucky, and it now cuts out when coming to a halt on the road! I cant drive it like this at the moment as its driving me crazy But Guy, at CPL believes it could be a IDLE AIR CONTROL valve that needs cleaning? I wanted your opinion on this.
Honda have told me that a new IAC valve costs £193 icluding VAT! so its quite costly to replace,does this need to be the case?

Appreciate all the help and advice!!

Many thanks
Jerry

guys knows what hes talking about. And knowing a little about ICVs id bet money on the fact Guys right.

Remove it from the throttle body, remove the 2 screws and clean it with some carb cleaner, they dont break, so will just be clogged with crap

:) Its a long story, But one day I will tell you!!

Thanks for the advice and help!!

Just been to Guy and had £1031 WORTH of work done on the 17th Oct!!

Jerry 8)

List of Mods:

JACKSON RACING HEADER WITH RACE CAT
K100 or KPRO (Decide on the day which one!)
HONDATA HEATSHIELD GASKET
2 DYNO RUNS (A Before and AFTER MODS)
RECARO FURIOUS BUCKET SEAT
LUKE 4 POINT HARNESS 75mm

Already on Car:

SPOON N1 & B PIPE
ITG MAXOGEN INDUCTION
Js racing torque damper
Js strut brace front
Spoon rear upper brace
Carbing lower tie bar rear
JDM rear roll bar
Spoon plug cover
spoon socks
Toyo T1-R all round
Goodridge Brake Lines
3G Discs
Ferodo DS2500 Pads all round.

Black R said:
guys knows what hes talking about. And knowing a little about ICVs id bet money on the fact Guys right.

Remove it from the throttle body, remove the 2 screws and clean it with some carb cleaner, they dont break, so will just be clogged with crap

Considering i told Jerry a week a go it was most probably a IAC valve issue, it really doesn't take a genius, and the car's only had this problem since it went to Guy's with it's last lot of mods.

Jerry IMO get it down to TGM as he can rectify anything that needs doing.

Its 2 screws tajke it off and clean it with some brake cleaner or carb cleaner end of problem

HASNIC said:
Black R said:

Considering i told Jerry a week a go it was most probably a IAC valve issue, it really doesn't take a genius, and the car's only had this problem since it went to Guy's with it's last lot of mods.

So you saying becuase its been in to CPL, that its guys fault the IAC is fecked? and only the great TGM would be able to fix that :roll:

I believe I was the first person to see this problem just before installing Jerry's earthing kit.
The IDLE AIR CONTROL valve has snapped off causing the rough idling.
I'm guessing it's due to poor installation of the intake manifold.

HASNIC said:
Black R said:

What about a vacuum leak on the plenium side of the throttle? Have you altered anything to do with the PCV valve or not blanked off a vacuum hose when the induction was fitted or fitted a 'leaky' oil catch tank?

Trung said:
I believe I was the first person to see this problem just before installing Jerry's earthing kit.
The IDLE AIR CONTROL valve has snapped off causing the rough idling.
I'm guessing it's due to poor installation of the intake manifold.

Ah that's it then :lol:

Trung,

The part that is snapped is a Vaccum hose connected to the water inlet assembly from the inlet manifold. Guy said its nothing to do with this, rather its a dirty IAC Valve!! I have done nothing to the car myself, nor fiddled with anything. But To my knowledge the ABOVE hose was not broken, it came to my attention when I was routinely checking oil and water levels a few days ago.
Does everyone believe that cleaning the IACV will cure the problem?

Jerry :?

jerry3167 said:
Trung,

The part that is snapped is a Vaccum hose connected to the water inlet assembly from the inlet manifold. Guy said its nothing to do with this, rather its a dirty IAC Valve!! I have done nothing to the car myself, nor fiddled with anything. But To my knowledge the ABOVE hose was not broken, it came to my attention when I was routinely checking oil and water levels a few days ago.
Does everyone believe that cleaning the IACV will cure the problem?

Jerry :?

water inlet assembly :?: the throttle body coolant hose :?: what stopping all the coolant leaking out?

It's sounds like a vacuum leak (how have you fixed the hose?) or if there is a broken IAC then that - try cleaning it, make sure the wires are good and it's connected properly 8) then try swapping with a good one from a mates car

There is a small hose that goes from the inlet manifold to the top of the Water inlet assembly. This hose has a Vacuum job, so I ve been told, the other coolant pipes are lower down on the W I A! so no coolant leak!
Have a look in your engine bay, its under the IVTEC cover.

Jerry

jerry3167 said:
There is a small hose that goes from the inlet manifold to the top of the Water inlet assembly. This hose has a Vacuum job, so I ve been told, the other coolant pipes are lower down on the W I A! so no coolant leak!
Have a look in your engine bay, its under the IVTEC cover.

Jerry

ivtec is for girls :wink: I've only got vtec.

I'm confused as to what this vacuum hose does (why do you need a vacuum on a water inlet) and if it's still leaking on the plenium side it could well be the problem.

:? Trust me, there is a hose there! There are NO coolant leaks, this is not the issue. I have the K20A2 engine schematics on disc and looked it up, and its definitely the water inlet assembly!!

Jerry

jerry3167 said:
:? Trust me, there is a hose there! There are NO coolant leaks, this is not the issue. I have the K20A2 engine schematics on disc and looked it up, and its definitely the water inlet assembly!!

Jerry

Be patient with me :lol: just trying to get my head around it - I can totaly understand the throttlebody having a coolant in and out from the block to help prevent freezing. I can totaly understand crankcase vaccum to the plenium through PCV valve, and intake to crankcase breather. What I can't picture in my minds eye is the water inlet (assuming this is the TB coolant ) needing a vacuum. :?

Anyway that's slightly beside the point - this hose is no longer leaking a vacuum?

:) The hose has been temporarily sealed using some electrical tape :shock: and seems to be holding well, cant say for sure if this has sealed it, buts its done for what its worth.
The hose I am referring to goes into the top of what looks like a gold coloured screw, like a thermo switch type thing? This screw looks as if it could be unscrewed and replaced. Below this screw is the main body of the water inlet assembly, and to the side are the main coolant hoses.

Jerry :)

:D Problem has been solved by Guy at CPL!! Its appears to have been a knackered Throttle position sensor attached to the throttle body!!
Luckily, Guy was very kind to replace my TB with a spare one!

Jerry :D

Back