• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ImportR's 2005 NHB: picture blog

DSC_0151-Copy.jpg

So, after my dear old Evo5 gives up the ghost, the mrs moans at me to buy something more "refined". ie. something newer, quieter and less harsh.
I tried to get a Focus ST2, but the emergency funds didn't allow. So I plumped for the next on the list, the EP3 :D

Got this on July 2009, just before a nice 2 week holiday to Cuba. A tidy 43k miler, with full history. Albeit totally standard apart from Silvatec bulbs
f2ba07fa.jpg

a0504e1f.jpg

e44359ce.jpg

f9727894.jpg

After the holiday, I decided to get to work...tinting the side rear glass. I'm trying to stick to a sensible budget though. Don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on mods :eek:
04082009298.jpg

04082009299.jpg

Couldn't do the back though:confused:
04082009300.jpg

In the meantime, I added some cheap red mats from fleabay
DSC_0014.jpg

and polished her up
DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

Along the way, I added an Omex Seq.Shift lamp and some gaiters
26082009309.jpg

15082009304.jpg

15082009305.jpg

Then i got the back window tinted, replaced all the tyres and painted the calipers
DSC_00212.jpg

DSC_00242.jpg

Fitted some Heko wind deflectors too :rolleyes:
DSC_00172.jpg

DSC_00192.jpg

I then replaced all of the brake pads with Ferodo DS2500's :D
DSC_00222.jpg

While that was going on, I fitted some Spoon socks and a BMC CDA intake :rolleyes:. Yes I know people have probs with this, but I honestly have not suffered any heatsoak. It feels fine to me and revs a bit more freely. I attached the cold air feed to the OE ducting, but cut the end off the front of the duct, and added a custom made alloy air deflector behind the grille. It now receives a lot of air when moving :D

DSC_0026.jpg

So a while later, the modding bug bites again. I fit some Mugen pedals and a Simoni Racing footrest
DSC_00162.jpg

DSC_00152.jpg

Almost three months after buying the car, I fit these. Lovely DC5 seats...mmmmmm :smt047

b0808d2c.jpg

e35dd872.jpg

aee1a97c.jpg

When will it all end?! :lol:
Stay tuned for more blogging kids!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good mate, some nice mods so far.

What's next on the list? I would highly recommend a fast road setup and some lowering springs.

Thanks bud :) it's very difficult not to get carried away, hey!

Yes next on the list are:

Lowering springs....Eibach or Tein? With FS setup...do I need camber arms?
Cat back (decat) system....still undecided about which one for gains/subtlety
Piggyback ECU/remap....just gonna go with something light like K100 or Unichip as I feel that a full on KPro may be OTT for what I want?
A couple of strut braces and tie bars
A Mugen-type bonnet in CF
Mugen type grille in CF
....and maybe some lightweight rims on R888's for some trackdays :)

I have the Eibach springs on my DC5 and I cannot rate them enough. Better setup than my previous two sets of sub £1k coilovers. Yes, you will need the camber arms for the rear and bolts for the front.

ECU wise, it depends on how much you plan on changing your mods and if you plan on doing any data logging. Many on here get the intake/header/exhaust done and then get a K100. Unless you really want the data logging aspect and you don't plan on doing on the road mapping yourself then the K100 is the ideal solution.

Have you seen the BC bonnet? They are the best available IMO.

Dont suppose you know what MM the drop on the Eibachs are (on an EP3)?

Yeah I think i will just go for K100, for the reasons you stated, since the car is a part time
family car!

You mean the genuine BC bonnet? I like it....although I prefer the small vents of the Mugen.
I suppose the BC ventage is obviously more efficient than the Mugen...hmmmm, difficult decisions!

..but thanks for the info! ;)

oh yeah.....just remembered...i have some SFS silicon hoses on the way! Ooooops!

I think they are 30mm or 35mm, though I can't remember.

I just prefer the more subtle look of the BC, but if you like the Mugen style then go for it.

I have a set of Eibach springs off my dc5 lying about if you fancy it? Do you a deal on them.... ;P

Lovely looking EP3 chap.

Like the footrest too. Compliments the Mugen pedals which I often think look odd with the standard foot rest.

Thanks for the comments :)

The back window was a problem for me to DIY tint, as it had too many curves. Which is why it was eventually tinted by a Pro!

That looks very smart mate. How you finding the BMC? I take it you pointed the cold air feed at the front of the car, not to wheelarch?

Hi, yes I connected the air feed to the original ducting to the grille....
80576f35.jpg

but opened up the end and fitted 2 wind deflectors right behind the TYPE R badge, to direct air straight into the ducting.
a4b6aece.jpg

3db5df14.jpg

7af08c25.jpg

b8a58c72.jpg

the lower deflector takes the air over the radiator, and the upper deflector diverts it down and back to the ducting
8049309a.jpg

42021dfd.jpg

The BMC has been fine as far as I'm aware. I was thinking of taking the car (as it is) down to my local rolling road and testing it. At the same time, taking my OE airbox and testing that...just to see what the difference is. People say that RR and actual conditions are different blah blah. The underbonnet temp doesnt seem to affect the CDA though, after a run I touch the CDA and pipework and it is no hotter than the bonnet...

Cool pics, have those alloys been refurbed? And those gaitors are a right steal at that price.

AFAIK, the wheels are still on original paint? Maybe I'm wrong

...but behind the spokes and inside the wheel, they were very very clean, with no overspray

Finally gave in and got some JDM mats today :roll: bloody peer pressure!

b44b8b80.jpg

The heel pad is in the right place

e574920e.jpg

023fe556.jpg

74541952.jpg

they feel superb, although the cheaper ones did feel nice too. I think the JDMs are a bit dark though?

Back