• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Improving MPG

After searching through forums seen people manage to get around 300 miles to a tank (in a ep3) with sensible driving. I dont seem to get past 240 even with hardly ever using the vtec at all. The car is 7 years old now and only has aftermarket back box rest is standard. What can i possibly do to improve these figures? Cheers in advance

There's lots of little things like avoiding having hot air con on if you can, keeping windows closed on motorways, and keeping the tank topped up instead of letting it run empty (letting a tank run empty causes fuel vaporisation as i'm sure you're aware!)

Not being a type r owner though I don't know anything ctr-specific...

Yer there always done mate thats why it seems wierd that my average tank is so much lower compared to others

PSI checked every week

Theres a fair share of start stop driving just didnt think that would cause me to get so much less to a tank :/

Mine's only doing about 25-26 mpg around town now the weather has gone colder. On the motor way at 75-80mph it's doing mid 30's.

My comute to work distance has doubled since I have moved, however the MPG is only slightly lower as now its the M11/M25 now as opposed to stop start town and lanes.

Madness.

I can never quite understand how people get 250-270 miles from a tank,even with back road thrashing now and then i still get 300-340 miles! lol

when i am normal driving i change gear at 3k revs,i dont see the point in using up to 5k revs when simply commuting.

as others have stated,town driving seems to be the killer

my cars get trashed and their MPG is repulsive.

i live in a town with steeper hills than everest. i now have a longer commute to work. all of 1 mile rather than 400 metres. the car barely gets warmed up, sat in stop start traffic it would take less time to walk im sure of it. but the hill on the way back would kill me. that or the locals, i wouldn't walk for fear to my health. top this with the fact that all tesco, retail and friends live in the same town and this leads to sub 20MPG and the poor old girl might get to stretch her legs once on the weekend.

Each Ep3 car is different, so diff miles per tanks. I normally get around 300 with unleaded and 330 with super unleaded. and thats with a fair bit of heavy driving. If you can stomach the extra cost then try super to see if you get better mpg? also doing long haul journeys helps the mpg, Short journeys not so :mad:

What do you reckon works out cheaper overall? Paying the extra for Super and getting the extra miles, or just punter fuel?

What do you reckon works out cheaper overall? Paying the extra for Super and getting the extra miles, or just punter fuel?

The differenece in price on a tank in small, like not even teh cost of a pint small.

So its worth the placebo effect for me alone, if thats all it is, but im sure there is a small increase in performance.

After my CTR was mapped, it was clearly obvious that the premium petrol (V power) out perfomed teh standard 95ron stuff.

Do you just bung it in there one day or do you need to clean out the tank first?

Just put in in whenever you can.

I'm not a tenner here, tenner there type pf person, I drive until teh light comes on and fill up, drive until the light comes on and fill up.

This way I can also keep an eye on my MPG.

I'm not a tenner here, tenner there type pf person, I drive until teh light comes on and fill up, drive until the light comes on and fill up.

Same here, I've never understood why people put a tenner in every few days, just fill the thing!

Because if you let it run closer to empty, the petrol vaporises in the tank. So technically, you're best to keep it as full as possible.

Back