• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Improving The Handling Without Springs/Dampers

CTR_Paul said:
Spoon lower braces are probably worth while. I've read someone say the front one can catch, but equally I've read that someone says it doesn't. I'm having one fitted soon with my car lowered on coilovers, so we'll see. I only drive over one speed bump per day and that's not too bad.

Have you fitted yours yet?? Whats it like??

Can anyone confirm if the Spoon Front Lower Arm Bar sit too low on a standard CTR?? Or is it only a problem on a lowered car.

Does it just catch on speed bumps etc... Or is it so low it bottoms out on spirited B road driving??

Also who do you recomment to get the JDM Rear ARB from??

Cheers :D

Gunn79 said:
CTR_Paul said:
Spoon lower braces are probably worth while. I've read someone say the front one can catch, but equally I've read that someone says it doesn't. I'm having one fitted soon with my car lowered on coilovers, so we'll see. I only drive over one speed bump per day and that's not too bad.

Can anyone confirm if the Spoon Front Lower Arm Bar sit too low on a standard CTR?? Or is it only a problem on a lowered car.

Does it just catch on speed bumps etc... Or is it so low it bottoms out on spirited B road driving??

My Spoon lower front brace is fecked. I've bottomed out on it a few times now on some spirited B road driving. Bent the brackets right up plus the other day I hot a rabbit and bent the brace big time. I'm going for the Tanabe under brace now. It's a 4-point fixture (unlike the Spoon which is a 2-point) and a much sturdier pice of kit IMO. Take a look at it here. It's £175 inc VAT from those, contacted them the other day about it.

CTR said:
Gunn79 said:
CTR_Paul said:

My Spoon lower front brace is fecked. I've bottomed out on it a few times now on some spirited B road driving. Bent the brackets right up plus the other day I hot a rabbit and bent the brace big time. I'm going for the Tanabe under brace now. It's a 4-point fixture (unlike the Spoon which is a 2-point) and a much sturdier pice of kit IMO. Take a look at it here. It's £175 inc VAT from those, contacted them the other day about it.

Is your CTR standard ride height or lowered?? I guess the roads in South Wales are simmilar to those here in Sout West Devon.

That Tanabe item loks very sturdy! I presume the Si version fits the UK CTR ok??

Gunn79 said:
CTR said:
Gunn79 said:
CTR_Paul said:

Is your CTR standard ride height or lowered?? I guess the roads in South Wales are simmilar to those here in Sout West Devon.

That Tanabe item loks very sturdy! I presume the Si version fits the UK CTR ok??

I'm on Spoon progressives at the moment mate, so I'm sitting approx. 25mm lower than standard. This is low enough for the roads round with me and will be sticking to this when I get my coilovers fitted. the Spoon brace does hang down a fair bit from the underneath of the car, TBH I was shocked at how much when I saw it at first. Yes the Tanabe brace does fit the CTR, I've seen one fitted to a customers car when I was up at ADR one time. There was some pics on their site of one fitted too but I took a look and seen Mike has been busy with their webpage and it's no longer there :?

Gunn79 said:
CTR_Paul said:

Yup got it fitted on Tuesday. Not bottomed out on anything yet, that includes speed bumps. That said my ride height isn't especially low, perhaps about 15mm lower than stock on tein superstreets. I will be getting it lowered further when the car park where I work is sorted. Haven't had it bottom out at all yet actually. :)

CTR said:
Gunn79 said:
CTR_Paul said:

Neuspeed also make one of those, dunno if you have seen it or not, just making you aware of it's presence. Awesome Gti sell them IIRC. :wink:

Went for a committed b road blast this morning to see if I could get the lower brace to ground at all. Not even a hint of it touching the floor.

I guess with lowering springs and the softer damping you have with that there is a possibility it could hit under severe braking on a bumpy road. However on standard springs I'd think it would be highly unlikely that you'd damage it. The harder damping of coilovers also means that the nose of the car doesn't dive anywhere near as much, so perhaps thats why mine doesn't catch on a lowered CTR.

HTH Gunn 8)

Back