• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Improving The Handling Without Springs/Dampers

I am considering improving the way my CTR handles. Only problem is, I dont want to go down the Springs/Dampers route (basically dont want to lower the car, or make the ride harder).

This is because of the state of the roads in SW Devon, very bumpy and pitted. I genuinely think that my car needs the travel and damping softness the OE dampers and springs give on the roads I use most regularly.

Also being a surfer, a lot of the beach car parks I use require something akin to a 4X4 to get in and out of! :lol: Plus I would like to minimise the chance of invalidating any warranty work should I need it.

What I am thinking of getting is the following;

- JDM Front ARB
- JDM Rear ARB
- Spoon Front Lower Arm Bar
- Spoon Rear Lower Arm Bar

The price for these parts are approx. £365 inc. VAT (Plus Del.)

I know this is not the most cost effective way to go about improving the handling, but it seems to fit my needs best.

Has anyone tried a similar set up - would I notice a difference, or am I being blinded by manufacturers sales blurb!

Are there any potential disadvantages to this set up - I guess the Spoon Front Arm Bar could hang low??

Any help appreciated. :)

That is also something I am considering. Can you get any garage to do it, as long as you have the settings and fit camber adjusters??

Gunn79 said:
That is also something I am considering. Can you get any garage to do it, as long as you have the settings and fit camber adjusters??

I presume so mate. It's the cheapest and most sensible option considering your circumstances.

The JDM front ARB will have no effect on the car, their identical in strength just a slightly different shape.

- Kevin.

moNoKnoT said:
The JDM front ARB will have no effect on the car, their identical in strength just a slightly different shape.

- Kevin.

Cheers for confirming that - I had a feeling that was the case but wasnt sure.

So minus the Front JDM ARB (new total price approx. £282) - any thoughts on the benefits of this set up??

Hmm I am pretty sure you do not need camber adjusters for a fast road set up, unless you plan on lowering the car. As far as I know you just need to dial in some - toe in the front and + toe in the rear.....

please correct me if I am wrong.

I will be getting the fast road set up when I get round to fitting my springs.

On the Essex meet I was behind clements and in front of typy - clements has D2 racing coilovers and fooked off no where to be seen again :shock:

Just get Fast road setup. If car isn't lowered then you don't need any adjusters.

Had mine done few weeks back at TDi. Really improved handling.

G said:
Hmm I am pretty sure you do not need camber adjusters for a fast road set up, unless you plan on lowering the car. As far as I know you just need to dial in some - toe in the front and + toe in the rear.....

If you dont lower the car, you will need front camber bolts for fast road set up but you shouldn't need rear adjustable camber arms. Although I have read about someone who needed the rear adjustable camber arms for standard suspension height.

My only problem with getting the fast road set up is I live a long way away from all the 'regular' places people get it done (System-R, ABP, CPL Racing etc... The closest to me would be TGM, but thats still a 3 hour+ drive :lol:

Ideally I would need to know the settings people use, and get a garage local to me to carry out the work.

stew said:
why dont you go for a tyre with a softer sidewall?

I had the Toyo T1-S before, which was soft - found the drive way to sloppy, to much flex in th corners. Lost a lot of confidence in the car when I had the Toyos on.

Funky said:
G said:

If you dont lower the car, you will need front camber bolts for fast road set up but you shouldn't need rear adjustable camber arms. Although I have read about someone who needed the rear adjustable camber arms for standard suspension height.

yeah, just found my ABP printout and you are spot on :).

have to say gun that I found the Toyos much better though they are not as stiff I agree. mind you I am running a 35 series profile which may offset the softness a tad.

JDM Rear ARB is thicker than the European one, which helps get rid of some of the understeer that the CTR comes with (although it's quite oversteery compared to virtually every other 200bhp+ hot hatch).

Only the front JDM ARB is the same thickness, the rear JDM one is thicker and worthwhile IMO.

Spoon lower braces are probably worth while. I've read someone say the front one can catch, but equally I've read that someone says it doesn't. I'm having one fitted soon with my car lowered on coilovers, so we'll see. I only drive over one speed bump per day and that's not too bad.

Camber adjusters front and back will make the biggest difference, you can add camber to aid cornering, and it makes a real difference. Sure your car might not need them, but you won't be able to say you want the geometry to be more aggressive and have it changed, because there will be no option.

Dotty, don't bother with the D2 coilovers, they're shit apparently (not that specific set, just D2's in general).

I had the fast setup last week, with some tein springs. It only lowers it by 25f/20r which is not a lot, but the difference is unbelievable. The ride is firm without being harsh, and it actually goes round bends without clenching the butt cheeks.

The only downside for me is that on the motorway it is a lot more twitchy and perhaps I need to have some camber taken out.

You also need to see the roads in south London :lol:

Back