• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Insurance company

I took out some bike insurance in January.

I recently changed bikes and therefore changed it over to the new one a few weeks ago.

I got an email saying they need a copy of by driving license. Can't understand why they would need this, never been asked before. Also i'm 3 months into the policy.

The issue is, at the moment I can't find my paper part of the license. I've emailed them the photocard. They sent my another email today saying If I don't send it by April the 7th they will cancel my policy!!!

Can they just do that? It wasn't mentioned at the start of the policy that it was needed. Obviously if I need to apply for anew one it's going to be at least 3 weeks.

Don't want to end up getting the insurance cancelled and it costing me money.

Any advice?

I will obviously have a good look for it, but it's always in one place. As i had a clear out, can only assume it was inbetween paperwork and got thrown by mistake.

They probably can do it. Just ring them up and explain the situation rather than doing it by email....

They probably can do it. Just ring them up and explain the situation rather than doing it by email....

Yeah going to ring Monday, better to speak to a real person and find out.

Just thought it was an odd thing to ask for, given I've never had to provide it in 4 years of riding and 12 years of driving!

EDIT : Found it, crisis over lol

Last edited by a moderator:
They emailed me back, saying wanted proof of ncb. It's 4 months into the policy ffs. I didn't have any details, couldn't remember who it was I was previously insured with. To cut a long story short managed to jog my memory and get it sorted.

Just as well really, paying about £250 at the moment, if I couldn't provide proof it was have gone up to over £700!!!

Insurance companies are idiots.

always baffles me why they need a copy of the no claims certificate. They all share info don't they, can't be hard to add no claims to it

A couple of years ago, I renewed my dad's insurance and I thought he had 4 years no claims.

Went ahead and purchased the insurance ( I think from Direct Line) and as usual, they asked for NCB details. Turned out my dad only had 3 years and ended up paying an extra £150

Back