• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Insurance Warning

Hi all

A bit of a heads up for all those who have got their car insurance set up to automaticaly renew its self. A couple of people I know who were with Direct line for over 3 years and had their insurance automaticaly renew have had thier cars seized due to not having any insurance dispite still paying for it.
This has resulted in paying almost £200 for the seizure of the car, £200 fine and then 6 points on their license, before then taking out a new policy with the points on their name.

It seems to be a new trend that insurance companies have stopped their auto renewing policy, but without obviously telling their customers. The police will seize your car and its then up to you to prove that you have got insurance. They are still fighting the insurance company by claming that they have comitted fraud by taking payment for a service and not providing it, but we all know what insurance companies are like.

If your insurance was ment to automaticaly renew in the last few months, you had better check that it actualy has.

Surly when no new documents come through the post you'd figure out something wasn't right?

PS can a mod move this to the right section please?

Last edited by a moderator:
I never had a renewal through from Sky, lucky I called up to find out when it was due as I had it in my head that it was like 3 weeks later. I moved company to Elephant now.

If you don't check with your own insurance company that you have a renewed policy, then on your head be it. It is up to you as the owner to insure your car, not the brokers. Just my 2p;)

I would never allow my insurance to auto renew, I always shop around every year for the cheapest I can find.

im pretty sure you could fight that in court and if you played it right get the points removed , either that or a massive compensation payout from the insurance companys

If they have still been taking your money then what the hell were you paying for? The snakes. I'd go to a claims court!

Back