• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Intake manifold

Hi everyone

I d like to give me a tip. Which of the three is the best intake Mani for the k20 engine. The rbc the prc or the skunk2?

P.S. :Other mods on my engine: aem cai hondata k pro and full exhaust system

Do not go for skunk2 that's for sure... definitely not worth the money!

And why exactly do you say that? Have you ever owned one? Most of the big turbo application cars in the States use Skunk2 intake manis mated to the Skunk2 throttle body as they are 70mm OD and don't need to be port matched. So yes they are expensive, but there's a reason for that ;)

I'd like to resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one.

The final piece of my puzzle is getting a new intake manifold. Everyone raves about the RBC which is cool but is this deemed "the best bang for buck".

Intakes I've considered are:

RBC -£250 - cheapest option lots of rave reviews
RRC - £450 - More expensive but gives good top end power?
SKUNK2 Pro Intake - £530 - Most expensive but already 70mm.

And then the next question is throttle bodies, is an uprated TB really needed on a car that is remaining NA?

My current spec is completely track based car, with Teg M intake, full Toda exhaust, K100 etc etc.

Anyone with any actual factual information i'm all ears.

Thanks

Sounds an interesting build buddy.

As you have said the RBC is the most common, as it gives you a combination of good results under mapping for a reasonable cost.

If money is no object then go for the Skunk2 70mm manifold with the matching Skunk2 70mm TB so you've got a smooth air intake with no size difference, in other words I don't think it would be worth while fitting a 70mm TB to a smaller inlet manifold and vice versa with fitting a 70mm inlet manifold with a smaller TB, you want the maximum air intake without any disturbance to the path of the airflow.

Yeah I agree with the whole 70mm remaining consistent and not being funnelled through smaller apertures.

I happen to be in Canada at the moment and can use the dollar to my advantage very well. So much so that I can get a Skunk2 for the same price as an RBC.

I just want to buy the best first time and then forget about it.

In that case definitely get the Skunk2, be rude not to with having the option of saving on the currency. ;)

So the Skunk2 (yes is the nicest looking and is more JDM YO than an equivalent but that doesnt bother me) is it the "the best"?

If I had the money I would of gone for a skunk 2, I believe it gives you the highest top end between the RBC and its self. I myself went for the 70mm ported rbc from tegiwa and a skunk 2 70mm TB and thought it was a pig of a job cutting out the front slam panel plus who likes Chopping sections of metal off there car lol. You won't see much gains from a 70mm TB compared to leaving the standard one on but in the future if you look at uprating the cams having one helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess it kind of makes sense that it's so cheap over here then!

im not fussed about chopping bits up off the car anyway. You obviously haven't seen my most recent pics on my build thread :). Plus I don't have a slam panel....lightweight......

I spoke to TDi and they said Skunk2. So that's good enough for me.

From what i have seen RBC gives slightly better gains in midrange compared to S2.
S2 moves the powerband to the right and pref needs cams and a 70mm tb to get the most out of it.
imo the RBC is the way to go for basic bolt ons and the cheapest.
Only downside is the slam panel needs cutting or repositioning by making the holes for the bolts of the slam panel bigger.
if money isnt an issue the S2 would be the easiest option.
i made 255 hp with 176 lbft at Tdi last year with the S2 intake and all the basic bolt ons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this dilemma last year and opted for the s2 intake and 70mm matched throttle body. I know the cost is significant compared to the other options but after fitting this set up I am more than happy. I managed to get 251bhp and 181.6lbft of torque, more torque than most get with other intakes and cams etc, my car is on standard cams currently. Also the build quality and fitament is excellent too, the noise it also makes is savage.

Dyno print out from tdi North after mapping
20141202_210823_zpscx5rwex9.jpg

Garry

Last edited by a moderator:
Back