• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Intermittent rattle from front brake/hub, NOT brake squeal.

I have had this happen three times now but of course cannot get it to happen at the dealership who have inspected it and found nothing wrong. It sounds like a tin can is attached to the wheel, more pronounced going round corners. It also does it on full lock in reverse. Increases with speed. Anyone experienced the same ? Only done 3000 miles since March and only started last Sunday.

No, not according to the dealer though I will get the wheels of this weekend and have a look.

Well the dealership did not have a good look. Stone trapped between disc and guard , intermittent as it also sat on the pad, guard forced back and stone removed with needle nosed pliers, it did not "pop" out unfortunately. Lots of grit and stones trapped around the front end that I cleared. Design of the guard has a recess to nicely hold small stones. No doubt it will happen again. Jacking it up shows how rigid the chassis is and how short the suspension travel is.

Well the dealership did not have a good look. Stone trapped between disc and guard , intermittent as it also sat on the pad, guard forced back and stone removed with needle nosed pliers, it did not "pop" out unfortunately. Lots of grit and stones trapped around the front end that I cleared. Design of the guard has a recess to nicely hold small stones. No doubt it will happen again. Jacking it up shows how rigid the chassis is and how short the suspension travel is.

Good news something simple, goes to show dealers are not always as knowledgable as owners.

In defence to the dealership. If the noise wasn’t present at the time of test they’re not going to know where to look first. Also they’re not going to remove the wheels and brakes to remove a dislodged stone for nothing. I also bet none of you customers would be prepared to pay the dealership for that work either.

Sorry mate don't agree.....Ok the dealers are not in the forums and they will only have a few type R customers so not aware of the issue a good few of us have had, but I would like to think it was the first thing to do is to whip the wheel off quickly and have a look if there is reports of a griding noise. Also if the OP had gone with the info of this ever helpful forum, surely they would have done it then.

Its customer service, I would expect not to pay for a 10 minute job.

Sorry mate don't agree.....Ok the dealers are not in the forums and they will only have a few type R customers so not aware of the issue a good few of us have had, but I would like to think it was the first thing to do is to whip the wheel off quickly and have a look if there is reports of a griding noise. Also if the OP had gone with the info of this ever helpful forum, surely they would have done it then.

Its customer service, I would expect not to pay for a 10 minute job.

This is the grey area. Did the customer provide all the information required? Far too often customers turn up and just say ‘there’s a noise from the front, fix it’.
On the other hand. Did the booking centre or the service advisor ask all the correct questions to get the information out of the customer? Was they offered a test drive with a tech. Most importantly if they did, was the complaint reproduced?
Unfortunately in a dealership time = money. If there’s a hint that someone isn’t going to get paid for their time they won’t do it.
It’s not quite 10 mins work though for a dealership. There’s seeing the customer in, potential road test with customer or technician to road test to produce the noise. Vehicle into the workshop, on the ramp, visual inspection, send a video, remove wheels/part of brake system, find stone and remove. Refit brakes/wheels, another road test to confirm fix, paper work, free wash and vac and then call the customer up and tell them it’s not warranty and demand half hour labour when reality that car has had a good hour of the dealerships attention. For 9/10 customers to kick off.

No but I will next time. The car was booked in for a whole day so I thought that the least they could do would be to take the wheel off and have a look. The service dept. said that they couldn't find anything wrong, bring it back if it does it again, its under warranty and OK to drive. Yes its only a stone but can it damage the disc or will it rub away until its small enough to drop out. On our next trip to southern France do I take torque wrench, 22mm socket, pliers and trolley jack or let it rattle away to nothing. Not many Honda dealers out there.

...... It sounds like a tin can is attached to the wheel, more pronounced going round corners. It also does it on full lock in reverse. Increases with speed. Anyone experienced the same ? Only done 3000 miles since March and only started last Sunday.

Experienced the exact same thing this evening after a run and only looked on the Forum to see if anyone else had any clues.
Good timing

No but I will next time. The car was booked in for a whole day so I thought that the least they could do would be to take the wheel off and have a look. The service dept. said that they couldn't find anything wrong, bring it back if it does it again, its under warranty and OK to drive. Yes its only a stone but can it damage the disc or will it rub away until its small enough to drop out. On our next trip to southern France do I take torque wrench, 22mm socket, pliers and trolley jack or let it rattle away to nothing. Not many Honda dealers out there.

go equipped mate except the trolley jack! Sure the frenchies have a few of those....

Had exactly the same thing last week.

Barely audible when driving forward, could just make out something if was crawling next to a wall with the window open.

But reversing... holy hell it sounded like 2 lumps of thin metal just scraping against each other. Sounded awful.

Still doing it the next day when I went to my parents house, went to leave, reversed off the drive and it made that horrible sound again so I drove forward and asked my Dad to come out and listen.

Typically, it didn't make a peep and has been fine since. Stone musta popped out at that very moment.

Was literally about to phone the dealer.

I've also had the same noise appear randomly sometimes, thought it might be something more serious! Will take my wheels off too when i get the chance

makes me wonder if these guards are of any actual benefit. Clearly a design flaw in too far away from the Disc they are built to protect. Wonder they can be removed easily

makes me wonder if these guards are of any actual benefit. Clearly a design flaw in too far away from the Disc they are built to protect. Wonder they can be removed easily

I believe they are there to prevent excessive water build up,especially when driving on rain soaked motorways.
Without them you could experience a second or so with nothing happening before the pads dry the discs on a sudden brake application...perhaps the difference between a crash or not.
So I would not want to remove them...perhaps they are positioned a bit further away from the disc than on other cars to aid brake cooling?

Back