• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Intersting test CTR vs Rs

Pistonheads have been very impressed with the FK2, I think they've had theirs nearly a yr now.
I thought I spotted my 1st RS approaching me in the wk, I was about to give the thumbs up & as it passed I realised it was a new ST, fronts are near identical, the RS looks needed to be more aggressive

I heard one on a test drive. Sounded a lot quieter than I thought it would but lovely crackles and pops when the throttle lifted.

Mine sounds better now, just without crackles.

Basically as i see it there both great cars, yes the ford will go faster in the wet but the civic will stop better (wet and dry), so unless you want to drive like a complete knob in the wet and possibly not stop in time then it comes down to price and looks and with the ford costing more when speced the same, there are pros and cons to both, its all down to presonal preference

Wonder how many owners pre ordered with the buckets upgrade, be an expensive mistake if you couldn't fit

i watched a drag race on YouTube between the CTR and golf R. The golf R won it as it will with 4 wheel drive and launch control but for me the big difference was the Golf driver looked board just sitting there letting the car do everything!!

Well ofcourse a AWD cars with 300+ bhp are faster from 0, you can't compare it to the FWD the Type R has. It will always struggle more to get off the line, especially in moist conditions.

The Type R is the more fun car the drive, more fast track car, it's designed to give the driver the most fun experience it could get and that's where it excells above all other hatches on the market today.

Alright, Renault designed the Trophy R with the same philosophy, and together with the Type R it are the most fun cars to drive in the hot hatch market till date! :)

Yeah, it was something I didn't expect to go on the RS, you expect some grunt from the engine but a few on the RS forum are saying its quite quiet on the outside, I got the impression they wasn't expecting a "fake" engine noise.
I think it would niggle away at me, knowing it sounds different on the outside

My old ST was the same, though that was the unreliable symposer. You'd wind the windows down for a tunnel or bridge and you couldn't hear anything from outside.

Then you used to get resonance issues with aftermarket exhausts as the real noise was out of phase with the internal fake noise. Such a ball ache...

I heard one on a test drive. Sounded a lot quieter than I thought it would but lovely crackles and pops when the throttle lifted.

Mine sounds better now, just without crackles.
I revved up a new mk3 RS the other day. Sounded good but nowhere near as loud as I thought. Only pops in sport and track mode when you lift off sharpish at beyond 4.5 - 5.5k revs. Quite a fake synthesised sound but nice non the less.

I can also confirm that in the real world from a rolling start the type r is the faster of the two cars which has quite frankly shocked me. But it was sunny dry and warm outside :)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Jep, RS is faster from 0, but after that the Type R gains up. The 0-200km/h and 100-200km/h times from the Type R are just a tad quicker than the RS, so yes, when rolling the lighter and more aggressive Type R wins. :)

Interestingly the type r performance is identical to a revo stage 3 mk2 focus RS running 390 bhp. There is no denying the fact the RS revo 3 has more grunt but the type R just deploys it's power more consistently and efficiently and uses all of what it has. The focus looked a battle to drive but tremendous fun too. Despite the totally different ways in which the cars go about their business the performance is identical.

Hopefully you showed them they bought the wrong car ;)

Oh no my 3 cousins are RS mad they love their ford's and evo's.

I was very tempted by the mk3 RS myself. What it shown me was that I bought the right car for me. Very happy with my decision. Type R looks better and goes better too.

One of my cousins drove my car and loved it. He said he feels very well set up and gives him much more confidence than his mk2 RS when going around corners, and it feels like a race car for the road.....Which is exactly what honda tried to create.

Indeed showed what the type r can do, on the straight the type r pulls hard away from the RS

Define hard, the RS is slower yes, but just by a notch as you can see here, they are very close.

On track it really comes down to who is the better driver if you would go with a Type R against a RS. My mate has done a fair amount of track days with the Type R and came across the new MK3 RS last weekend on the Zandvoort track here in the Netherlands. His Type R is remapped, making 350bhp and 520nm of torque but needed atleast 6 laps to shake of the RS. The RS driver was a very experienced track driver. RS is also a beast on track, the grip it has is insane.

[video=youtube;JkWcnyVQZUI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkWcnyVQZUI[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back