• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Is Honda's service package worth it if you only do ~5000 miles a year?

I said no to the Honda service package when the dealer tried to flog it as I generally just assume it's not worth it with low miles like to I do, however I'm rethinking it now. I've only had the car 3 months and less than 1k miles so I think I can still get the package right? Is it worth it?

I said no to the Honda service package when the dealer tried to flog it as I generally just assume it's not worth it with low miles like to I do, however I'm rethinking it now. I've only had the car 3 months and less than 1k miles so I think I can still get the package right? Is it worth it?

For £500 (if that's how much it is) i would say it's worth it. Especially if you are keeping the car for that period.
Guve them a call, can't see it being a problem if it's been 3 months

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

You have 18 months or so many miles to take the service package, you may have to pay a little more though.

I didn't take it either due to the confusion at the time, 2 services for me so far and I'm already over the £500 offer.

What I've actually found is by paying for my services I get looked after better, if that makes sense.
I knew of an owner who used the same dealer as me and had the service package, he was constantly in for services and he was supposedly poorly treated each time to the point of him putting a complaint in, but i do know the oil used in his wasn't cheap cheap but he wasn't getting the Honda castrol they were using in mine, I also get the left over half litre bottle to take home each time

The service package is £599 for the Civic....this covers you for all scheduled servicing for a period of 5 years from first registration.
The Type R is much more expensive to service compared with standard models, so even if you are sticking to once a year services you have made up most of your original outlay after only 2 years.
I only do about 5000 miles a year but I seen the service plan as a complete no brainer and a must have!
Plus it has an added bonus when you come to sell your car if it still has any services left because they stay with the car.

Thanks all. I asked the dealer how much services cost and the figures he gave me only suggested you saved money if you had more than three services. Given I may only keep the car for 2 years and do low mileage it seemed debatable. Having said that I actually now think I'll keep it for longer as long the squealing brakes don't shred my patience (think they're getting better but could be my imagination).

What I've actually found is by paying for my services I get looked after better, if that makes sense.
I knew of an owner who used the same dealer as me and had the service package, he was constantly in for services and he was supposedly poorly treated each time to the point of him putting a complaint in, but i do know the oil used in his wasn't cheap cheap but he wasn't getting the Honda castrol they were using in mine, I also get the left over half litre bottle to take home each time

This seems well out of order, I wouldn't stand for that! Anyone else experienced this?

I asked the dealer how much services cost and the figures he gave me only suggested you saved money if you had more than three services.
If I remember right the second service on a Type R is around £345.
Please let us know what your dealer quoted you for the individual prices of the first 3 services?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember right the second service on a Type R is around £345.
Please let us know what your dealer quoted you for the individual prices of the first 3 services?

I think he said something like £150 for the interim and £250 for major but he was a bit vague so I wouldn't rely on those figures. I'll ring them up and get some actual figures with a view to signing up for the package if it seems worth doing.

That seems very cheap.
I saw a list of what the fixed price servicing was for the 10G Civic from my dealer and the ordinary model was at least that....in fact more for the first service.
The Type R was about £100 more than the standard model for the second service.
Yes I would definitely make sure of those figures if I were you, then you can decide whether the 5 year/ £599 service plan is worth it to you.

Chaps of course that cost won't include wear and tear parts or labour for those so you could be paying something during those services.

Chaps of course that cost won't include wear and tear parts or labour for those so you could be paying something during those services.
We are talking about the cost of scheduled servicing.
Servicing never includes wear and tear items....so I don't get why you have raised this point? :)

We are talking about the cost of scheduled servicing.
Servicing never includes wear and tear items....so I don't get why you have raised this point? :)
I thought it best that it be clarified early on, to remind folks that that lump sum still will not cover everything.
Besides, some of the service parts wear out, don't they? So some wear in fact is covered.... and the uninformed may have a different expectation of 'wear'
Let's throw a link up to show what you get for your dollar then the OP can judge if it's worth the outlay:
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/fixed-price-service-plan.html

The £599 price was a special offer for the new Civic, so looking at the above link I wonder if it is still running?

Pretty sure the offer was £500 on the FK2,
Makes you laugh when you read what's carried out on each service, apart from fluids and filters everything else is visual checks, so even with the offer they're coining it in

I think it's a good deal if you have a decent dealer to take it to which fortunately i do. The idea i believe is to tie you to Honda for the servicing which is understandable from their point of view.

HUK will and have used it as an excuse in the past to void future warranty work, some fn2 owners were being declined rusty roof and syncro replacement due to not having Honda services, once that 3 year mark is up they try anything

Back