• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Is this any good?

Blitz Filter un-sure which one but this is the ebay item number 170276936897, Was just wondering what it would be like compaired the the k&n typhoon kit i have at the moment which is an open filter :(

Gonna sound thick now but what is a CAI kit:confused:

Stands for Cold Air Intake mate, as opposed to having a open cone in the engine bay sucking up warm air sapping power.

Panels are ok I suppose but if I was going to that far to change the filter I would perhaps think about a CAI induction kit. AEM V2, or if you have the penny's go for the Gruppe 'M or the ARC kit which is rated very highly.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Stands for Cold Air Intake mate, as opposed to having a open cone in the engine bay sucking up warm air sapping power.

Panels are ok I suppose but if I was going to that far to change the filter I would perhaps think about a CAI induction kit. AEM V2, or if you have the penny's go for the Gruppe 'M or the ARC kit which is rated very highly.

:)

The AEM V2 is just like the K&N Typhoon that I already have fitted on the car. What does the ARC kit look like? Saw a Gruppe M on e-bay today going for £460 so far Think that a little rich for my blood at the moment (altho I do REALLY want one):cool:

The AEM V2 is just like the K&N Typhoon that I already have fitted on the car. What does the ARC kit look like? Saw a Gruppe M on e-bay today going for £460 so far Think that a little rich for my blood at the moment (altho I do REALLY want one):cool:

yt0ni1.jpg

Stolen form G's thread, http://www.type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=43057 ,read the whole thread anyway its excellant.

ARC's are expensive but its a good bit of kit, perfect if you dont want to go down the Gruppe 'M route.

There a couple of people on the other website with blitz... they dont seem that bad, and its good to break away from the norm...

you got any pics mate??

where you buy it from??

cost??

what made you buy ITG Maxogen over the other 2?

Sorry for the 1000's questions

Picture036.jpg

Not the best of pics but you can just make it out lol.
I got this istead of GruppeM cos ive got a Buddyclub Prospec exhaust and is real noisey, so I decided to go for a quieter induction.

Think it was £360ish from unit8

I recently fitted a AEM cold air intake which i got second hand for £115.

Nice and silent when just cruising round but when you hammer the pedal to the metal the noise is awesome.

Personnaly i think £400 plus for a intake system is way to much for what little gain you do/might get.

Filter in the engine bay (aem v2, blitz filter, apexi filter, hks filter etc)will give gains if you have good cold air ducting but might suffer some heat soak if you get stuck in traffic.

Cold air intakes (injen cai, aem cai, gruppe m) should all in theory give nice gains due to having nice and cool air all the time.

At the end of the day the choice is yours to make. Do a little research and looking around on the board. There are two good thread at the top that shows where a gruppe m and aem cai sit which will give you a little more info.

Air filters of any type on a CTR dont make a huge difference on there own.

Think what we could really do with is a meet at a rolling road where 1 CTR with just intake mods only could be used as a test bed and then take a couple of intake systems and run them on the rolling road to give comparison results.

Intake system suggested test list:-
STOCK AIR BOX
HONDATA MODDED AIRBOX
AEM V2
AEM CAI
ARC
GRUPPE M
INJEN CAI
BLITZ SONIC
HKS FILTER
plus any others peeps might think of.

I have a k&n typhoon a went to an rr meet with the fiat coupe boys and decided to run the civic as the coupe is off the road at the moment and it pulled 202.9bhp which is a gain on stock power but the unit was very warm after all the turboed coupes had been on (even with the 4ft fan) not that it being much cooler would of maid it have much better gains than it got.

Think what we could really do with is a meet at a rolling road where 1 CTR with just intake mods only could be used as a test bed and then take a couple of intake systems and run them on the rolling road to give comparison results.

Intake system suggested test list:-
STOCK AIR BOX
HONDATA MODDED AIRBOX
AEM V2
AEM CAI
ARC
GRUPPE M
INJEN CAI
BLITZ SONIC
HKS FILTER
plus any others peeps might think of.

They did it back in the day, and IIRC the Gruppe M came top, with the AEM CAI second and the ITG a close third. Although if my memory serves me right they had the AEM CAI poking out of the engine bay?

I have had most systems since I have been behind the wheel of a K20 powered engine.

Blitz - yes good for the noise but that is it.

Simota - As above - noise no gains

AEM CAI ( x 2) - Very good bit of kit, unfortunately in the UK it is not ideal due to roads being prone to flooding.

AEM V2 - Again good for the noise and I know Tom at TGM uses one in his race car and he knows his shizzle so they must be good but I can not see how they work effectively, saying that he is always on tracks with it so heatsoak is not an issue.

Hondata modded airbox with ITG replacement filter - Deffo and improvement over stock but not as good as a CAI.

ITG - A nice system, I had one on my DC5 and it seemed to make good gains without the induction 'roar'

Gruppe M :)twisted:) In my opinion this is the best of the lot. The Ram effect works so well, it has no water/damaged engine issues and is proven to be the best system out there :)

If you can stretch a little I would get the Gruppe M 110%

HTH

As Dotty said we did the test mentioned above and the AEM was hanging over the front bumper.... in full view of the huge fan... not exactly scientific.

At the end of the day, between both forums pretty much everyone has tried everything with varying degrees of results. And everyone has their favourite with the GruppM being head and shoulders above the rest, though when cost comes into play the AEM is a good second on a basis of pound per bhp.

I am on my fourth intake system including the AEM, which whilst reasonable cost me over £2k for a new engine... so not to economical for me :D.

Now I have the ARC and just cannot stop being surprised how good it is. Whatever the thoughts on how it should work, and ignoring (the admitedly good) RR results for a second, in the real world driving it is amazingly good. Of course it sits cost wise between the GruppM and AEM. And I would say performance wise sits there too, though I the difference at the most would only be a handful of bhp between them. But looks better than both, and is easier to live with than the AEM.

But at the end of they day, you read folks experiences and makes your choice according to your taste, needs and budget.

Back