• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

JDM EP3 Vtec Kick

Apologies as this has most likely been coverd hundreds of times but I cannot find the answer.

I have owned my JDM EP3 a week and a half today and I would like to know at what RPM does the Vtec kick in?.

I ask this because I have been told it kicks earlier on the JDM models and I don't know if its because I'm getting used to it now but I can't feel any difference.However to be fair I haven't been over 6k rpm much because I only do town driving and have not had any real time to give it the beans.

can anyone help?

Thanks
CheatsIP5

You'll notice it most as a change in tone in 3rd or 4th. It's all over a bit quickly in 1st and 2nd to see it clearly.

I was just doing a sanity check on Wikipedia and someone has dicked about with it (k20a2 says 6,000 and it's 5,800). I'll have to edit and validate the edits tomorrow.

I always thought the JDM k20a was 5,800 stock.

So next time I drive it I need to be looking for a noticeable difference when I hit 5,800RPM? I'm sure it's all fine but I get real analytical and convince myself there is a problem lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It needs to be up to temp, and the oil level needs to be right for VTEC to work.

Check your oil level and make sure your water temp is at least at a quarter, but closer to full temp the better.

Yeah I always let it warm up, I don't even go any where until the revs have dropped. My oil level is about 2mm below max, does it need to be spot on?

You won't ever feel a noticeable kick, it's not like the older B16/18's. It's more of a surge as its smoother than the older RedH Maps.

Tbh I'm completely new to Vtec so I don't know what to expect but it definitely pulls well lol. Will I notice it more with modifications? Like intake and exhaust?

It will be fine with 2mm below max.

Like Darren said, it's not a kick as such, it's just a crossover from one cam profile to another. If you ever get it properly remapped it should be smooth as anything on a K20.

Stock though, Honda purposefully mapped in a small dip in torque to exaggerate the crossover, to mimic the old B series. Breathing mods shouldn't increase it really.

That's good then, I am still going to buy some oil to top up every now and then but it doesn't seem to be burning any.

Is it true the JDM model has a different map? That may be why I am not noticing it as much as it already feels pretty smooth.

It has a different map because it has different cams/pistons & compression/inlet manifold/exhaust manifold.

It still has the K20 trademark "kick"/dip in torque.

It has the same map as the DC5 IIRC, or similar. VTEC is either 5800 or 6000 and you should definitely notice it in 3rd.

If you replace the airbox for an induction kit or open filter you'll hear it for definite. When my car was completely standard I could feel and just about hear the difference but I'm quite familiar with VTEC so it's probably just me!

You'll hear a difference obviously, as it changes over the cams. With an intake/filter it will be far more noticeable. The open cone filters like the K&N Typhoon or AEM V2 will give you a great sound, but as they sit high in the engine bay, they'll not give you a massive gain in power. If you want proven gains, the AEM CAI is best bang for buck. It sits in the bumper well and gets a great supply of cold air. If you want a top mounted intake, then the Gruppe M or Tegiwa M sit the opening above the bonnet, just at the bottom of the windscreen.

:D My Vtec kicks in at 5,800 RPM Also I thought my Vtec solenoid was screwed. It passed Hondas dig test. It was a case of me not planting my foot for full throttle. Wow does my Vtec kick or what.... Loxy and co would I be right in saying the k100/KPro then allows after a map to have Vtec on full and partial throttle at different rpm?

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it. I think she's pulling fine I just get a bit paranoid. I will pay more attention to revs and stop being a pu**y and keep my foot planted!

:D My Vtec kicks in at 5,800 RPM Also I thought my Vtec solenoid was screwed. It passed Hondas dig test. It was a case of me not planting my foot for full throttle. Wow does my Vtec kick or what.... Loxy and co would I be right in saying the k100/KPro then allows after a map to have Vtec on full and partial throttle at different rpm?

You can have the KPro/100 mapped for rev matching. I know when I drove Dottys old DC5 he told me the more I planted the go pedal, the lower the VTec would come in (?). I know he had it set fairly low if you really went for it and the power was astounding, it was just there constantly. Might be worth PMing him for more info ;)

Back