• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Just bought this.....

Just seen this on wikipedia, Autozam (mazda) AZ-1, looks mega!!! :twisted:

MazdaAZ1.jpg

I suspect the AZ1 is probably a hoot to drive, but the Beat has the advantage of being a soft top. It doesn't wobble around either, cos it was designed without a roof. To Skillz, the Beats motor is a 12 valve 656cc(i think)triple laid almost flat behind the seats. It's not a VTEC but an MTREC(Multi Throttle Responsive Engine Control), which means it has a throttle body for each cylinder, like a bike engine. It does about 50mpg, makes about 64bhp like all Kei cars do(Japanese regs state they can't be any more powerful), redlines at 8500rpm and its 0-60 time is about 12 seconds. These figures tell part of the story. The rest can be told only by driving one.

Marge

PS. AliA, Gaydon is the 25th, but it looks like i can't go now. Arse!

No, changed me mind again. Will definitely be there now. Took for me to sort a few things out, but it's looking good now. Will hopefully see you on the 25th.

Marge

Nice one. Looks proper tidy. And it's got the spoiler, which mine doesn't. Due to being import only, Beats don't really have an insurance group. I'm 33, and have two other named drivers on my policy, and it's about £400, but we're all fully comp. Should go down come renewal time too, as the second lot of NCBs start.

Marge

Love these cars, Kei cars in Japan are expensive unfortuantly due to strong demand in Japan but still - really tempted in importing one for myself now i have been reminded on them:smt047

Andy

As above, its should be cheap but it will go off engine size being an older import -

there is only 2 categories.

less than 1550cc = £70 for 6 months

1550cc + =£100 for 6 months

Good for a Twin turbo RX7 (cant begin to imagine the emmsions on one of those)

Bad for a genuinely economical car such as the beat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not fair when you think about it!!

The government should bring out the same sort of rewards they have in Japan for using such vehciles -

Free road tax for any cars under 800cc would be a start..;)

That would make all Kei cars such as the beat, cappuchino, coupen, and others very appealing here all of a sudden.

They do have a similar scheme though for emmisions on new car dont they or am i mistaken?? (ie free road tax for certain very low emmsions cars!)

Andy

Not fair when you think about it!!They do have a similar scheme though for emmisions on new car dont they or am i mistaken?? (ie free road tax for certain very low emmsions cars!)Andy

Yeah you are right. The Wife has a little 107 :p 998cc and that's £35 a YEAR!

The Beat and other Kei class cars should be at least in this band or better still, free.

Back