• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Just catching up with some maintanance..

Arrived at work bright (well dark actually) and early and let myself in to start on today's jobs. On the list I had gearbox oil change, remove damaged side skirt and fit replacement, subframe collars, alingment, valve clearances and replace vtec solenoid gauze/gasket. The most annoying job was the side skirt as the previous on was broken and previous owner decided no-more-nails would be a good fix. Well, it wasn't.. and it look a long while to remove that crap.. anyway new skirt fitted, gb oil changed and engine now cold the cam cover removed and also solenoid. Gauze was clean but replaced it anyway. That back on, checked and had to adjust 10 out of 16 valves. So that made it worth while. Camchain marks lined up perfect so won't worry about changing the chain anytime soon. Milage on 93k so must of been looked after. Drove well on way home. Felt responsive. Happy!
59f00854f0d60ceaaef22e389e2c835c.jpg
521e499368cecc403caeaba52d75b3da.jpg
c96a5861b1e867cf0a16ee8b11c0936e.jpg
7ed4160d6299034c3210720183348768.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Annoyingly as I was only checking clearances I forgot to look. I can see me having to have another check now wonder if I can time it up without removing cam cover again, sensor end?

Was on a mission bugger. I was going to change it as precaution anyway at some point. Not too bad a job by the looks of it.

There easy mate if you know what your doin, but if you dont then i advize you to get someone who does as you dont want it to go pear shaped

I've replaced chains before. Not on these. But it's no bother. Belive it or not I've been a tech for 20 years. Just forget to check lower timing mark as was just concentrating on the cams as per manual for valve clearances. Embarrassing really lol

Car doesn't miss a beat. Smooth and quiet. I'll do it before 100k though. Most other cars/bikes I've changed have been stretched tbf. My wife's corsa **** itself big time. Load of junk. Bent valves the lot. Fixed it for her though. Cheap as chips.

On the hunt for the right induction/exhaust next. She's silent on stock items.

Why not keep it as it is? I find the stock airbox provides better throttle response, smoother running and more effective that the K&N Typhoon that was on the car when I bought it.
Keep the stock exhaust or replace with a like for like quiet one.
Great fun cars as they are.

I'm sure the stock airbox does a good job, would just like it to sound a bit more like it looks. Not a stupidly loud pipe, but it seems the standard b pipe is a bit of a restriction on these. And the standard bore seems a little small.

A larger bore means you'll only benefit a bit at the top end and you'll lose lower down torque.
If you just want the noise, consider a different back box perhaps.

Unmodified ep3's are getting less common but appreciate in value. Consider how long you want to keep your car too. Subtle mods are fine but try to keep the original parts too if you can. It will help the sale for sure!

IMO the standard air intake is brilliant as it doesn't give that vtec noise,but the pull you get that's what makes me smile
Iv kept my standard apart from Fujitsubo Legalis R exhaust system which looks like oem but bigger tale pipes
Sounds well amazing not to loud

if you fancy a little noise for a while you can remove top part of the airbox and fit an s2000 filter, sits in lower part of the airbox so it can be refitted easily afterwards.

theres a few lads who done this including myself and what a noise :)

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?96137-My-Cosmic-Grey-Premier-Edition-Type-R/page4

Page 4

Now I am liking that mod more!
Nice job!
ps How much of the centre section did you have to cut away and did you shape it around the cone filter?

Last edited by a moderator:
if you fancy a little noise for a while you can remove top part of the airbox and fit an s2000 filter, sits in lower part of the airbox so it can be refitted easily afterwards.

theres a few lads who done this including myself and what a noise :)

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?96137-My-Cosmic-Grey-Premier-Edition-Type-R/page4

Page 4
Could you give me a link to parts needed please? I'm all over this :) also I presume you had to buy the engine breather filter too?

I measured the standard pipes ID for the breather as i can't remember, i have a spare standard breather if you want me to measure it so you don't have to strip yours.

Yes i also cut the box around the filter so it didn't bang. or you could do the hondata Mod incase you return it to standard. was a good cheap mod i planned to use for winter only, but noticed no difference so kept it on until i sold it.

ill try find the breather i used :)

EDIT - Been and measured it for you - 25mm outside and 23mm ID

Last edited by a moderator:
Back