• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

K20 Civic - Noise from engine when cold

Hello guys

About 2 months ago i notice that, there is a noise when i start when cold. 2-3 sec and gone. Nothing to feel on the engine. Runs fine and puls fine. 132000 km and running castrol 5/40. Sounds like chain, and Oil pressure is low, but 2-3 sec Oil pressure is fine and sounds fine.

Not without hearing it, no.

I think it’s a new starter unfortunately, or just live with it.

You could test the starter by trying to start the car whilst it's already running (generally not advised)... See if the noise is the same or not. If it is then it's your starter motor.

Generally speaking, a chain or tensioner problem would be constant or appear at certain revs consistently.

Ok i understand. But noise is every time i start the car when Its cold. But when Its normal temp, there is nothing.

Mine does the same also, as Hazz says it is a very common fault on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What oil filter do use? some non OEM ones allow the oil to run back and drain from the mains & big ends, so when you start it they rattle until the oil pressure back up....

Next time try just turning the engine over a little without starting, do this a couple of times, then start it and check if the noise is still there.

Hello guys

About 2 months ago i notice that, there is a noise when i start when cold. 2-3 sec and gone. Nothing to feel on the engine. Runs fine and puls fine. 132000 km and running castrol 5/40. Sounds like chain, and Oil pressure is low, but 2-3 sec Oil pressure is fine and sounds fine.

Starter motor done and extra turn thats why it makes that noise

Pretty sure mine makes a similar noise occasionally upon starting for a second at most.

Same here. My EP3 has done this for years too, you get used to after a while and don’t even notice it.

Back