• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

K20 - new chain and tensioner - P0341 issues!

Hey fellas. I'm after some experienced advice!

I replaced the timing chain and tensioner on my EP3 recently and after a couple of weeks of driving well she's thrown up the dreaded P0341 VTC error code.

I swapped out the VTC solenoid with another used one and again it was fine for a few days.

Now its thrown the code again, runs poorly and stalls and it's giving the dreaded chain rattle on start up.

Any ideas? Do the tensioners fail in under a month? I'm thinking it might be an oil supply issue - I filled it with £20 5W40 from Euro car parts - wondering if its the cheap oil?

HELP!

Was it a genuine chain and tensioner kit?

Is the cheapy oil fully synthetic?

It does sound like it's jumped a tooth or stretched.

OEM parts from Jap Service Parts, and fully synthetic oil.

It was running fine, got the code, swapped the VTC solenoid, running fine, now running rough again.

I think I'm going to check the tensioner through the window and clean the VTC filter on the front of the head - see what that shows up!

I suppose I'd better pull the valve cover off and check the alignment too!

Don't start it or drive it under any circumstances....get it to a mechanic as soon as you can. If it's doing that something has gone wrong with the chain. Do not start it or drive it. It could end in tears if you do

Hey fellas. I'm after some experienced advice!

I replaced the timing chain and tensioner on my EP3 recently and after a couple of weeks of driving well she's thrown up the dreaded P0341 VTC error code.

I swapped out the VTC solenoid with another used one and again it was fine for a few days.

Now its thrown the code again, runs poorly and stalls and it's giving the dreaded chain rattle on start up.

Any ideas? Do the tensioners fail in under a month? I'm thinking it might be an oil supply issue - I filled it with £20 5W40 from Euro car parts - wondering if its the cheap oil?

HELP!

can i ask bud how many miles your car done before chain change? Do they have to be changed?

You won't be the first person to have had problems after a Jap Service Parts chain and tensioner, I'm sorry to say.

Says genuine, but at that price, who knows.

I changed it because I put a replacement engine in the car - silly not to when it's sat on the floor in front of you! The old chain was only a smidge longer than the new one - should have left it alone! Just trying to do the job properly - new exedy clutch at the same time.

Scrawban - I fix my own cars! I'm an engineer by trade. Honda's are usually pretty simple to work on!

You won't be the first person to have had problems after a Jap Service Parts chain and tensioner, I'm sorry to say.

I feared as much. What issues have others had?

I changed it because I put a replacement engine in the car - silly not to when it's sat on the floor in front of you! The old chain was only a smidge longer than the new one - should have left it alone! Just trying to do the job properly - new exedy clutch at the same time.

Scrawban - I fix my own cars! I'm an engineer by trade. Honda's are usually pretty simple to work on!
How much experience do you have working on k twenty power units? The replacement chain should have been exactly the same as the old one

I guess It's reasonable for you to doubt my skills as these are my first posts here. I'm more than capable.

Old chains stretch - a knackered chain would be noticeably longer than a new one - your statement makes me doubt your knowledge!

Touche.

Yes they do and all the ancillary parts with them wear and stretch to so you have to replace absolutely every thing for it to be totally correct. Not doubting at all. Apologies if it came across like that. In reality you only need to replace the tensioner the rest should be left alone.

Was looking at their chain and tensioner set myself, thought it had to be too good to be true.

Oddly enough enquired about these parts with them today (prior to seeing this) and when mentioning this article in a follow up mail they responded with this:
d986eadf0309d2854654b18c91dd12b4.jpg

I know it doesn't cover the labour but may be of use to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just Seen this post

Ramesh from Japserviceparts here.

Can I point out that we have not had a single person complain directly to us about problems with timing chains or tensioners bought from us.

We sell around 30-40 Kits for the K Series every month !

Our Chains are Genuine Honda Japan items. Anyone who has any doubt is welcome to take our parts to any Honda Dealer and/or Honda UK to verify.

For those saying we are too cheap - compared to who ? UK Honda Dealers ? Lings Honda wants £178 just for the chain !!! Are we too cheap or the dealers making too much money !!

Anyone who has had any issue with our parts is welcome to email [email protected] with your order number and details of the issue and will look in to it.

regards

Can you point me in the direction of any other posts/users with problems with chains/tensioners bought from us ?

Can you point me in the direction of any other posts/users with problems with chains/tensioners bought from us ?

Hello and welcome to the forum. Only fair that you put your side of the story across.

Quick search..

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?94814-Fault-code-P0341-story-inside-)

If you sell 30 a month then it is only to be expected that some will fail I guess. I thought there were more threads but maybe the name just stuck in my head, apologies.

I have to say credit where it's due: Ramesh has sent me an email not only guaranteeing the parts but also labour costs assuming photos of correct fitment/timing set up at time of fitting should it fail and be confirmed the chain has stretched in the 12months/24k miles guarantee after fitment!!
Any concerns I had about purchasing/price from japserviceparts have been put to rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say credit where it's due: Ramesh has sent me an email not only guaranteeing the parts but also labour costs assuming photos of correct fitment/timing set up at time of fitting should it fail and be confirmed the chain has stretched in the 12months/24k miles guarantee after fitment!!
Any concerns I had about purchasing/price from japserviceparts have been put to rest.

Can't argue with that can you?

Peely, let us know how you get on getting a replacement chain and tensioner from Jap Service Parts then.

Blimey! This thread has progressed somewhat since I was here on Sunday!

I've been busy with another of my Hondas - trying to iron out some issues with my boosted CRX before a trip to Santa Pod on Saturday. I haven't even looked at the EP3.

As yet I have no idea whether the issue is with the chain or tensioner. It's done about 100 miles since its been on there, I doubt very much that its streched in that time. I suspect its an oil supply issue which means the tensioner isn't functioning properly.

Credit to you Ramesh - I'll post back when I know more!

Hello and welcome to the forum. Only fair that you put your side of the story across.

Quick search..

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?94814-Fault-code-P0341-story-inside-)

If you sell 30 a month then it is only to be expected that some will fail I guess. I thought there were more threads but maybe the name just stuck in my head, apologies.

Thanks !........... Can i point out a few things :

There seems to be only two cases here out of the many many chains, tensioners and guides that we sell.

Neither case has provided enough information as to ascertain whether the issue is related to 1) Installation 2) Another problem outside the chain and tensioner 3) Definitive faulty parts.

There is an easy way to check for chain stretch without dismantling the entire chain assembly - take off the tensioner inspection plate and measure the tensioner rod length - see our blog post for more info

http://japserviceparts.co.uk/blog/h...-and-timing-chain-tensioner-related-problems/

I'm not on the forums much, and not a registered trader on here so going to keep this short - anyone has any issues or needs further info please do email us at [email protected]

P.S. UK Honda dealers will not offer any warranty on Honda parts purchased from them but not fitted by them ! same in the USA and Europe I believe !!

Back