• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

K20a in a MG-TF, British Style, Jap Power!

Are there two different cars in the pics? The pic of the engine shows green, but the cars black?

I believe the answer to that lies in good ol' rover quality controll!
The car is an 80th Anniversary edition. The majority of the cars in that run of 1600 were green with a cream interior marketed as "classic trim". the cars were also offered in "contemporary trim" Black with Red Alcantara seats and red roof.
Seems that regardless of which you chose you got a green undercoat.

On top of the engine there is the engine cover, Sound deadening and insulation and then the rear carpet so it must not have been dubbed a worthwhile area to match paint when they sprayed it :lol:

British Quality ;)

Nah Adam thats pre Rebuild.. Ill post up more pics later... the tinternet at work slows to a crawl at lunch time!!

Thanks Figo, obviously my engine bay will be a little more cramped thanks to the ITBs and the Turbo but would be good to get an overall impression of the sapce in the engine bay :)... mind you looking at the two engines now it seems the V-TEC isnt much bigger than the rover engine :)

Pretty sleeper looking :cool:

Although the BBK suggests it's packing 'something' to warrant the stopping power :):twisted:

no big break kit on figos car :) the high end TFs came with AP 4 port racing calipers on the front as standard (one thing MG-Rover got right!!!) :) more than capable of handling 200-250 bhp with really good disks and pads (like figo has)

Are you defiantly keeping the TF-R Figo? i keep asking lol but you seem to change your mind so often and would be a shame to loose the other V-Tec'r in the MG world!

Thanks for that - awesome build, enjoyed reading the story - It's the sort of thing I enjoy reading as it develops over time, proper project. Well done.

Now we need pics of the car, and the bay :)

Edit: seen your post about the pics - look forward to it :cool:

thanks bud, i love reading threads like this too, thats why i stared one :D

UPDATE:

About time i had a bit of an update as to what i'm upto....

right the stuff all you type-r guys will want to hear about, the engine :D

well at the minuet its not much of an engine, it's fully stripped and stored in pices, all cleaned up and ready for a ground up rebuild with new seals etc prior to fitting in the car

originally i had planned to loose the Turbo which the engine originally had fitted. I still plan on doing this (the turbo pushed it past a Naturally Aspirated BHP of 330 to 420 BHP with Turbo and did so by having a very narrow power band. This is all well and good for chasing power figures but i have a sports car to enjoy driving and it will rob all the fun working the power-band rather than just enjoying the car. not to mention i mites well push it around town for all the good it would be!

So the new plan is to put in a low pressure Turbo with variable blades for a nice flat torque curve.

The turbo will be mounted on the manifold down-pipe as as a result should fit (just) without serious modification to the TFs bulkhead but thats a guess until i get the engine in the car in NA form.

Now im looking for some advice!

The engine i have came with a set of TODA Killer cams, the plan was to ditch these for a set of TODA fast road to keep some sensibleness as far as MPG goes.... but i figure i'm going to be lucky to get 25MPG anyway why not keep the killers?

Does anybody have Killer cams on their car? can you give me some idea of how forrocious the engine is? could i drive it around town? or does it make the engine un usuable for anything other than a track/toy car?

i may have to try the car with killers in and then purchase a set of fast road for some experimentation but some guidance is allways handy

ok now some non Honda stuff:

i've just got half my leather interior sorted, which is nice... the rest will come before i spend any more money on the conversion, i just want a nice cabin.... included in the leather interior will be the addition of heater elements and leather to my Corbeau Targa Bucket seats :) which is nice

I've also found a company that can make me bespoke calipers so the breaking is sorted, i'll be running 6 pots on the front and 4 pots on the back with EBC pads (for now) and vented/grooved disks

apart from that i'm just saving up my pennys now... will get some pictures of the engine up next time i see her :) and look forward to everyones thought on the TODA cams

adam

I wouldn't run killer cams in a road car, it'll be horrible when doing anything other than flat out driving IMO.

330bhp NA????

yep, ported head, 2 TODA injectors per cylinder, 4 50mm independent throttle bodies, up rated and light weight internals and a running re-map on the k-pro gave 330 NA at the flywheel but that was with killer cams

I wouldn't run killer cams in a road car, it'll be horrible when doing anything other than flat out driving IMO.

thats what i was thinking of, the killers have now being ditched and the engine is now half rebuilt using TODA fast road cams :)

oh and i have an ECU! woop woop, its not a K-Pro but a new one from Japan, cant pronounce the name let alone spell it but ill find out when i see the kit (next week hopefully) the guys in the race world are raving about it so fingers crossed :) I'll be running 3 maps, one of hopefully around 320-340 bhp (minus NOS) for some serious fun, a "economy map" of around 250-280 bhp for normal use and a "safe" map of 100bhp for any time someone other than me drives it (such as MOT time)

the way things are going i may have the engine in the car over the winter to test it, however it will come straight back out once i know it works in the car in order to save up for my custom breaks and up-rated suspension :) will be hard mind putting the Rover engine back in after experiencing 300bhp but still :)

remember you will need to do some modification to the suspension to get the engine in so hot swapping is harder than it seems! Also you would need run the wiring slightly differently.

If your ECU is Jap will it not be wide band?

remember you will need to do some modification to the suspension to get the engine in so hot swapping is harder than it seems! Also you would need run the wiring slightly differently.

If your ECU is Jap will it not be wide band?

im building the V-TEC on a separate subby mate, then im gonna buy a second set of rear shocs/springs etc the same as the uprated ones on the V-TEC Subby for the K-Series subby... result will be a straight swap by disconnecting the plugs for the ECU/harness... draining coolant... removing fuel hozes and the accelerator wire/clutch hose "simples"

btw i've been meaning to ask you... do you have an uprated fuel pump?

as for the ECU i dont know mate... i know its a brand new one for our market, chris is ordering 10 of them on the 31st... when it arrives im putting it in to run the rover K series (im gonna purchaes the adaptor leads for the K20a and Rover K series so i can use it for both)... once it's up and running will write a review for here and MG-Rover.org

it's a bit of a gamble mind as evan chris hasn't used this ECU before but he's herd all good things from the race world and is putting one in his TF and one in his GT3 car :) so he's putting his money on the line as well so fingers X'd!!!

Ah well least you have some inner knowledge. Im just wondering how he gets around the fact that the standard suspension needs to be raised to get the K20A to fit in? and will thast be a problem if you wanna swap back?

Well with my uprated suspension we needed to raise the arm slightly with a spacer to get everything squeezed in so if you plan on unswapping then you would need to un space the arms?

Also I welded a new mount onto the subby so not sure if that would give any issues if you went back to the rover K.

Hows the project coming along anyway?:)

Some more pics of my Handywork.. will do for now.. But I intent to repaint soon!

Really wish I got the rocker painted now!!! :lol:

Any tips on what to use to touch it up folks?! :p
attachment.php

Attachments

• ENGINEBAY1.JPG
    ENGINEBAY1.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 41
  • ENGINEBAY2.JPG
    ENGINEBAY2.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 4
Well with my uprated suspension we needed to raise the arm slightly with a spacer to get everything squeezed in so if you plan on unswapping then you would need to un space the arms?

Also I welded a new mount onto the subby so not sure if that would give any issues if you went back to the rover K.

Hows the project coming along anyway?:)

Hey figo, I'll be using two different Subbys mate so won't be much of a problem, on saying that the plan to swap back and forth is quite possibly out the window, I've decided to do a fair bit more modification including moving the petrol tank (need the room for ITBs and will put more weight on the front end...

As for progress, the engine is paid for, I'm plodding along ATM, the interior is coming along nicly,and I have an ECU, just saving for a gearbox

I've found a company which will supply the breaks but it's not going to be cheap! Lol

Goood stuff man, im currently re designing the old Engine mounts so will hopefully have nice new laser cut items when im done (months off though!) Glad the projects making progress!

Friend just built a Lotus 340R with a tweaked head, cams and crazy exhaust and thats pushing over 250bhp... im sure soon the size will increase as thats the only real way to get over 300 NASP!

Back