• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Key fob not recognised

Funky

Events Organiser
Battery went flat on the CTR while I was away so I put it on to charge. Once charged the car isn't responding to the key fob at all. I have to use the key to unlock the doors, this is making the alarm sound and I cant turn it off. Strange thing is I can start the car but the alarm keeps going off even with the car started.

I've got no idea what could be wrong, any ideas as I dont want to wait till Monday to speak to a garage?

Found this on US Honda sites, worth a try:

turn key to on position
press the lock button on the remote
turn the key off
turn the key on press the lock button on the remote
turn the key off
turn the key on and press the lock button on the remote
turn the key off
turn the key on press the lock button on the remote (by now you should hear the locks cycling which means it is in programming mode)
press the lock button on your other remotes (the car can remember up to three)

You have to do it fast.

I tried that and I can now get in the car without the alarm going off but the lock and unlock buttons still don't do anything.

Thanks for your help Nick, at least I can drive her now :)

No worries dude. I googled that info, probably something somewhere re: the locking mechanism too.

Well neither of the key fobs are working and the alarm is still going off when I unlock the car with the key so I've had to book it in with the dealers. I'm hoping its nothing major as I'm skint!

I'll keep the thread updated in case anyone has a similar problem in the future.

Well neither of the key fobs are working and the alarm is still going off when I unlock the car with the key so I've had to book it in with the dealers. I'm hoping its nothing major as I'm skint!

I'll keep the thread updated in case anyone has a similar problem in the future.

Have you got the PFL or the FL civic?

I had this problem with my keys but my immobiliser doesn't turn off unless I turn the key to click just before starting and press the unlock button. I took it to the dealership because my bosses car and my gf's car would unlock mine and turn the alarm off. Cost me £50 and it was fine for a couple hours until my boss unlocked his car and I saw my hazards flash

In 2003 Honda changed the alarms they used and also added rear headrests as standard. My car has the newer style key fob, the alarm in my car is NOT made by Hamilton & Palmer.

On that note, I would recommend going to a stealership mate. Mine charge £90 an hour but because they re-programmed it and done some test under an hour they took some money off which was good of them

:confused:

If you got a PFL, your alarm should be a H&P one that looks like this. Not sure what you meant by having the newer style alarm as PFL had the H&P ones

In 2003 Honda changed the alarms they used and also added rear headrests as standard. My car has the newer style key fob, the alarm in my car is NOT made by Hamilton & Palmer.

Spot on Sam, from MY03 EP3s had Honda's own alarm, as fitted to facelift models.

Well its not good news :(

Apparently the receiver unit for the keyless entry is faulty and needs replacing. Cost is outrageous IMO, I could have a new alarm fitted for the same amount :evil:

Sorry to hear that fella. Can you buy another reciever unit off Fleabay and then take it to the dealership and get it reprogrammed?

One thing I will say is, don't use GAP security if looking for a new unit. They use subcontractors who have the same brain capacity as a gold fish

I've looked on ebay but cant find the right one, there is a similar unit but the model number is different and its for an Accord. Looks like Honda is the only place I can get one, unless anyone knows of a cheaper place to buy genuine Honda parts?

I got a fob off the bay a couple of months back for 20 quid. Open up your fob and make sure the frequency matches.

Back