• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Knocking creaking noise from suspension/ steering

Ok guys so only happens at very slow speeds, ie parking. Mainly when I turn my wheel, would say is coming from suspension area. Any ideas? Car has had a bit of hammer at couple track days lately, apart from eibach pro springs and Frsu is standard. Thanks...oh car is a ep3 high Mileage

Its the steering rack. Spray some lube under the rubber covers. Its been discussed many times on this forum dude :)

You are correct. I personally made a small hole with the point of a knife in the gator and then stuck the lube spraying straw into that. Spray for 30 seconds and see if that help. Its normally the drivers side that needs doing but be careful when making the incision. If it is noticed in the mot the car will fail.

I did wonder about the MOT when I thought of perhaps making an incision... testers don't like split gators do they !?

Might cut the OEM clips and zip tie them back on...

mines still doing it might get it jack it up weekend and try re greasing the parts and zip tie the gators but mine sounds like dry rubber rubbing on something so not sure if its this but definatly suspension front area

I have this to. And I have/had new powerflex front lca + arb bush's, new staberlizer links and a vibe tec engine mount. Only when slow and turning I get a knock or a strange creak
I'm ether thinking its a drive sharft, or steering area ( track rod ends/ I see a thread about a slider in the rack)

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe the same thing bud, its like a dry rubbing noise when at slow speeds, not sure about yourself, i'm going to check the front end over the weekend, ill let you know what i find if anything

maybe the same thing bud, its like a dry rubbing noise when at slow speeds, not sure about yourself, i'm going to check the front end over the weekend, ill let you know what i find if anything

This is EXACTLY the same thing I have got. Its doing my fricking suede in. I wonder if its those rubber bits that sit at the top of the strut/spring??? My top mounts were new last year and it started soon after they were replaced...

Had a mate put a load of copper slip on my front ARB bushes last night - it has quietened down a heck of a lot. Replacing the bushes soon.

Worth a try!

Squeaky noisey bushes are common on the Alfa 147/156/GT family. Spraying the bush with some silicone spray helps the noise go away (but is not a cure). The reason is the rubber feeds on the silicone and swells up. Might be worth a try to see if it improves things, but again its not a long term cure. Silicone spray is also a good thing to treat the door seals with every now and again, keeps them supple and stops them drying out.

Has anyone here had their car fail an m.o.t due to making an incision in the rubber gaiter? If not I might try this lubricating method on my ep3 as I'm also hearing the dreaded steering rack creak!

Back