• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Knocking Noise EP3 02

Hi,
Right i got a 02 EP3 with a few miles on it lolz (98,000)

problems:
Knocking noise on the front when driving slow and going over bumps, Had new drop-links 4000 miles ago so there fine. Steering rack seems fine no pulling or creaking noise Just knocking. Seems to be the little bumps and pot holes it makes the noise don't really happen with bigger bumps.
Any info would be cool :)

Next Problem:
Are the k20 engines ticky lolz.....I find my engine is a little ticky/noisey. Seems fine when first started but when warm i find it to be a little ticky same when i rev it ticky noise gains with the revs. I use 5w 40 fully oil and Lucas Oil Stabilizer and never get any problems with oil level going down. ( don't burn oil ) Had the Valve Clearances done about 4000 miles ago and never made a difference. had the car on 92,000 miles and done 3 oil changes since.
Same again any info would be cool :)

Next Problem:
When i first start the car after about 5 miles drive i find the revs drop very low when when coming to a stop. Only lasts for a spit sec then goes back up to just under 1000rpm. I also find if i hit the v-tec and give her some it sorts the problem out till next time i use the car. Could this be the
idle valve control ?

Many Thanks Ian
P.s sorry if my spelling is shocking

Last edited by a moderator:
honda petrol engines are 'ticky'.. they have noisy injectors and are a very close tolerance engines, so tend to be a little noisier than your usual petrol engines.

I have a similar problem with the knocks, it's not my drop links & I've just had the front engine mount done - didn't cure it either. I'm wondering if its my AEM CAI fouling on something...

Knocking could be the top mounts (suspension). I've sourced some replacement ones because I have the knocks, so will update if solved.

Ticky - Just keep it well oiled and maintained.

Revs - could be the idle valve

I had the knocking problem sounded like something was loose in the suspension and it was my bottom arm joints. Didn't look worn or have much play when viewing them but once I got them out they were f**ked. It cured my knocking.

Back