• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

leather gear gaiter (EP3)

Sholud be fairly easy to do fella, although I haven't done it myself.

You'll need to remove your gear knob by loosening the nut beneath.

Next you need to remove the centre console which holds the gear gaitor. You can do this by sticking the car into third gear to give you some room to manouvre.

Then hook your finger into the bottom of the gaitor and you should be able to lift the bottom of the console away slightly. Cover a knife with some electrical tape (to help prevent chipping the paint work) and gently prise the rest of the consle away from the housing.

Don't pull the housing away too quickly as you will need to disconect your ciggy lighter and hazzards button.

Then I believe it will just be a case of unscrewing the old gaitor and replacing it with the new one.

Hope that helps.

P.S. If I were you, I would find one with just red stitching and without the Type R logo. Just my personal taste though. ;)

Sholud be fairly easy to do fella, although I haven't done it myself.

You'll need to remove your gear knob by loosening the nut beneath.

Next you need to remove the centre console which holds the gear gaitor. You can do this by sticking the car into third gear to give you some room to manouvre.

Then hook your finger into the bottom of the gaitor and you should be able to lift the bottom of the console away slightly. Cover a knife with some electrical tape (to help prevent chipping the paint work) and gently prise the rest of the consle away from the housing.

Don't pull the housing away too quickly as you will need to disconect your ciggy lighter and hazzards button.

Then I believe it will just be a case of unscrewing the old gaitor and replacing it with the new one.

Hope that helps.

P.S. If I were you, I would find one with just red stitching and without the Type R logo. Just my personal taste though. ;)

coolio,you learn something new everyday :cool: there is an alcantara gaiter(red stitching/no logo)...will work well with the seats :lol: im on to that one....cheers fella

well...it came this morning (went for the alcantra/red stitch...good quality) and just spent the last 2 hours trying to fit the dame thing :mad: everything came off perfect,trying to get the new gaiter to fit was a right bummer...very poor design!! suppose thats what you get for buying aftermarket parts hey!! i'll give it another crack tomorrow...if not,the stock gaiter will stay :lol:

When i had my EP3 i got one of these from a forum member who was making them,

Yes it was a pain to fir just because there was excess leather at rhe bottom end and it requires folding and some careful manipulation to fit it and screw in the retaining plastic ring

i fitted one the other day had a right ball ache doing it. Used zip ties in the end. Just seamed like there werent enough leather to fit round. First time i put it in reverse the damn thing came out, but i persevered and won in the end (not as easy as one would expect tho :D)

i was known as `gaiter-boy` on CTRO once, i`ve had more gaiters than Steve Irwin!

The leather ones are stressful to fit, you need 4 hands

Alcantara was easy, nice and stretchy and thin, was a relief to fit after the others

Make sure you line up the stitching with the centre of the dash, looks smart

Oh and superglue is good for holding it in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all, so how do i remove the centre console as it seems to be a bit more difficult than this thread lets on lol - does it just un clip or is there screws? etc

Thanks all, so how do i remove the centre console as it seems to be a bit more difficult than this thread lets on lol - does it just un clip or is there screws? etc
put it into 3rd gear, finger in bottom of gaitor & lift off, then you use the screwdriver (with taped head) to edge the sides out.

Remove the glove box and squeeze and push out the clip behind the top left hand corner (viewing from front seat), otherwise the plastic will bend.

Alcantara all the way, for ease of fitment

well i certianly dont want to bend the plastic, saying that it sounds easier to give / pay for someone else to do it lol, i have a modding brain of a monkey :D

It`s very easy to remove the bottom part, honestly. The leather gaiter will drive you nuts though :twisted:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alcantara looks smart

16092007057-1.jpg

So i am right in thinking that you dont have to cut the rubber one to get the new one in. Just i am undecided on the looks so thought if i could put the rubber one back on if i dont like it might just order one.

I've just done mine, fairly straight forward, but if anyone is planning to do the same, i strongly advise having a second pair of hands on standby. Oh and not doing it in January at minus god knows what degrees!

Back