• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Lightweight 17s -ideas

Unfortunately getting a dc5 did not work out but I still have the chance to swap my 18s for some stock rims and some cash. This i hope to do asap.

I have decided I need some lightweight 17s as the stock 17s are heavier than my current 18s. I quite like the team dynamic 1.2s and possibly have the chance of picking up a second hand set (if a certain member doesnt want them - please I need them)

NewCTR003.jpg

NewCTR001.jpg

They will clear the stoptechs thankfully and for the first time the 17s may look better than the 18s imo.

DSCN0604.jpg

What are peoples opinions on these, and feel free to suggest some other lightweight alternatives. Im not wanting to pay a fortune as the second they get stone chipped etc I will be gutted :(

My other option is to keep the stock 17s and powder coat them black or even champ white?

Terry

PS Apologies to those whose pictures I have shamelessly stole

Are you after Dotty's? As they are 1s and not 1.2s. I have the 1.2s, I love them.

^^ I know :( I just hope I get these 1.2s

They will be withour rubber rite enough so thats the next problem deciding which tyre :confused: I love the toyos on the 18s but the sidewall may be too soft on the 17s from what I read

I have the kei rss with polished lip, currently run 215/35 toyo proxys and I cant fault them

Lightweight rims I would look at Rota Sub Zero, or Buddy Club P1 QF, but these are forged, though VERY light, so how strong they would be on the road for daily driving remains to be seen. Fine I guess for track days though.

^^ I think the guy currently has rotas but as to the model im not sure.

Sorry for being stupid but are you saying the rotas will be worse for road use than the team dynamics - as this is where they are going to be put to the test?

Sorry dude, I meant the BC QF's. Not the Rotas. The BC's are a super lightweight forged rim. I was just unsure as how tough they would be on our roads. But they are pretty light :D

A few folks have ran the rotas, TP had 'em and Sara too on thier EP's. Nice rim and again pretty light:

ybnl6j.jpg

^^Hmmm they look ok but I have my heart set on the team dynamics, Ill just need to hope my mates mate does not want them over his rotas.

I still think the ep3 needs the 18s but some 17s get away with it

Ah there we disagree, it's all about the stance baby and 18's are played out...

ooh sorry dunno what came over me there :eek: ahhem anyway. 18's are cool, do look good but I'll stick with my 16's, they just feel better (and I happen to think they look cool too, more purposeful. though I realise I am more than likely in the minority). I would not go any bigger than 17's now tbh, just because of the roads. I like a bit of extra rubber on my rim... erm you know what I mean :D

^^ Aye mate with all the potholes etc the extra rubber is needed for protection. Some 18s look too big, some 17s too small all depends on the wheel.

I know the car will perform better with 17s so I have to get them.

What do you think about grip tho, do the 18s not have a wider tyre and therefore offer better grip on the road?

Hmm tbh I think mine is more grippy now than with the 18's, though as I said earlier I doubt there is much in it in actuality but it certainly feels more. Hard to describe. If there is a difference in the contact patch I bet it is so light it will be hardly noticeable.

I will say, and this is something Hasnic showed and explained to me, though it took me a while to feel it myself tbh, the extra sidewall, and slightly softer tyre (over the Bridgestones say) mens you can feel (with practice), that the tires give or flex a little just before the limits of adhesion is reached, it sort of telegraphs you when you need to make adjustments. Handy. When running the 18's there was less feel for sure.

Though I hope once I have don the handling day and a few track days I will be able to pick up on this further.

Oh and tires are cheaper. :D

^^ Agree with the feel comment, I get that with the 18s I know when its gonna let go. The pots just gripped then went with no warning.

My only worry is that the sidewall is too soft going to 17s. Cheaper if I go go for the common profile but stick to the 215/45 is it and it ups the price again :(

^^ Agree with the feel comment, I get that with the 18s I know when its gonna let go. The pots just gripped then went with no warning.

That's got nearly nothing to do wheel size though and more down to the tyre type.

Back