• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Limited Miles Accident

Ok, so a friend insured his car saying he does about 5000 miles a year, Normally this is the case.
However he has recently rear ended someone, comparing the milage on the last MoT to now, the insurance company are kicking up a fuss because he has done 8000 miles since the start of the policy.
However, his brother in law used his car (big estate) to take some stuff to his house in Spain, hence an extra 3500-4000 miles got put on the car.

My take is that he just needs to explain this to the insurance company because technically he has only covered 4000miles while his insurance is carrying the liability as his brother in law was covered under his own policy.

Any comments or experience?

The way i've always seen it is that your telling them how many miles you do per year in that car. So they need to prove he's done more than 5k miles, which they can't

good thread scrotes, i have wondered what would happen when people who put they do sub 5K per year and actually cover 10-20K have a crash, and then MOTs are compared.

as you have stated this chaps brother has used the car. does this guys brother have his own car with his own fully comp insurance policy? and therefore did the brother just drive your mates car under his own car policy? if he did then i guess it is harder to prove that it was his bro that was driving it for half of the miles. if this guys brother took out his own insurance policy on the car then surely by forwarding these documents with a covering letter stating he had been driving to spain and put on 4000 miles on nullifies the insurance company claim he did the 8000 miles.

keep this thread updated with the outcome would be interested to know.

Ok, so a friend insured his car saying he does about 5000 miles a year, Normally this is the case.
However he has recently rear ended someone, comparing the milage on the last MoT to now, the insurance company are kicking up a fuss because he has done 8000 miles since the start of the policy.
However, his brother in law used his car (big estate) to take some stuff to his house in Spain, hence an extra 3500-4000 miles got put on the car.

My take is that he just needs to explain this to the insurance company because technically he has only covered 4000miles while his insurance is carrying the liability as his brother in law was covered under his own policy.

Any comments or experience?

That's only proved how many miles the car has done since since the MOT, not how many since the start of the insurance.

I would argue, but it's always the same insurers never want to pay out.

Brother in law drove as his own car policy covers him 3rd party, i think he did notify his insurer though to check it covered him in Europe.
The strange thing is that they authorised the repairs to his car and only now are arguing the point?!

As far as I am aware (certainly with my isurance policies) is that the mileage is an estimate at the start of the year, if I've had a change in circumstances and need to do extra miles then I have rung up in the past and been told this to be the case.

agreed with ADHDboy, as long as its a average of the milage you do then to be honest i'd say the insurance company are trying to pull a fast one. Report them to the bbc watchdog i'm sure your not the first and won't be the last to have this game played by the insurance companies.

Stand your ground and dont back down

Thing is hes had the same car on the same policy for 3 years and never claimed, and never done more than about 2.5-3k miles a year because its just used to run the 1mile to work when its raining.

Well if it's the same company for 3 years Then don't take any $h1t! If you tell them up to 10k a year & you only do 2k do you get anything back? Do You ****. I'd threaten them with court cases, see citezens advice.

...........just a thought from the title.

Is it a limited mileage policy, or policy based on estimated mileage?

then where's the problem?? if you have a long trip that you didn't know was going to happen then you can't be held to randsom by the insurers

Just had a call from him, they were playing silly buggers saying he had to pay for the repairs... A call to the repair place he was happier, they were authorised to repair it by the insurer so he can pick it up once its done and they bill the insurer direct.
I told him to call back and mention the financial ombudsman, it seems the woman in the can he ran into is going the whole hog, whiplash etc, so he could really do with the insurance company on his side.

Back