• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loose top mount :shock:

The last couple of days I have had a very nasty clonk going over bumps and when turning.

So i had the car up in the air and began checking ball joints for play. No problems there. I then went round and check all sub frame and antil-roll bar bolts, all tight :?

I remember reading about worn top mounts a while ago on the forum, so though i would check these. I managed to tighten the nearside mount almost a whole turn :shock:

So might be an idea for everyone to go check their top mounts:

You will need a 6mm allen key(preferable as a socket bit on ratchet) and 17mm ring spanner. Place the ring spanner on the top mount nut, then allen key in the centre of the std. Be careful to hold the allen key still and square, you don’t want to munch it. Now simply turn the spanner clockwise to tighten.

I've heard about this problem too when people were hunting about the steering rack issues. Thank you for the heads up Black.. :smt023

I had a groaning from the steering which was cured by the dealer tightening the top mounts.

Mine were done by the stealer too as part of a servicing. Wonder what the correct torque settings are though??

BigRed said:
Mine were done by the stealer too as part of a servicing. Wonder what the correct torque settings are though??

they should be set to that special torque setting known in the trade as 'FT' :wink:

Black R said:
BigRed said:

they should be set to that special torque setting known in the trade as 'FT' :wink:

Hmmmm, would that be finger tight or flipping tight or f***ing tight? :lol:

Back