• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Lots of traffic tar bits on my ctr

Hi all

My car is covered in bits of road tar, looks like previous owner never washed it properly from new!
The question is how and what can I use to get it off???

I have some TFR, would that be good to use on paintwork?

Cheers

My best advice is get yourself a Meguairs Clay bar kit and use it with their quik detailer wax. You simply wash your car, spray the detailer on the affected area, rub with the clay compound and buff of the excess detailer with a microfibre cloth.

I decided to use the bar on my whole car, and even though I'm very regimental with my cleaning, it was pulling bits of dirt off that I couldn't even see!

You will not be dissapointed

My best advice is get yourself a Meguairs Clay bar kit and use it with their quik detailer wax. You simply wash your car, spray the detailer on the affected area, rub with the clay compound and buff of the excess detailer with a microfibre cloth.

I decided to use the bar on my whole car, and even though I'm very regimental with my cleaning, it was pulling bits of dirt off that I couldn't even see!

You will not be dissapointed

Enough said! You will then develop mild-strong OCD

Thanks guys

Is this stuff expensive & whee can I buy it from?

Is there anything else that may also do the job?

Cheers

Thanks guys

Is this stuff expensive & whee can I buy it from?

Is there anything else that may also do the job?

Cheers

halfords, online, ebay, any car maintenance shop. I would start by learning how to wash a car properly buying all the things you need and take it one step at a time, or you will become a jack of all trades master of none. after claying, wash it again to get rid of any clay chalky marks then polish it or wax it ready for the winter.

I had huge tar deposits on my car, a bit of petrol on a rag worked much better than anything else, I used clay, AG Tar remover, Halfords own remover, nothing worked! Clay is ok but you will find you will have to keep going over and over the big deposits, depending on how harsh it is. Then you run the risk of seriously marring the paint work.

I had huge tar deposits on my car, a bit of petrol on a rag worked much better than anything else, I used clay, AG Tar remover, Halfords own remover, nothing worked! Clay is ok but you will find you will have to keep going over and over the big deposits, depending on how harsh it is. Then you run the risk of seriously marring the paint work.

I think petrol being a thinner would do more damage than good, obviously tar remover should be used after the initial wash then if need a clay bar used.

You should never use petrol on paintwork. This is the process I was taught on a detailing course I did.
If you have a pressure washer soak the car, if you have snow foam use that if not just wash the car down to knee height using the two bucket method.
Now with a new cloth or wash mitt is better do the bottom half of the car so you dont scratch the top half with all the crap at the bottom.
Wash the wheels too.
Now rinse off the car and spray the entire car with Tar Remover top to bottom and leave it for ten mins, when you come back you will see the tar streaking down the car, rinse the car again.
Next get you clay bar kit, meguires is really good, cut the bar into three pieces and kneed them in your hand to stretch it out, then clay bar the entire car all the tar should come off easier as the tar remover will have lossened it up. when the bar looks dirty turn it over to a clean side and throw it away once it is all dirty as you will damage the paintwork.
Wash the car again after claying if you want but personally i just use the quick detailer to go over everywhere and buff off with a microfibre cloth.
Then polish the car, best advice here is to use a microfibre aplication pad soak the pad in water and squeeze out the excess this stops the pollish from soaking into the cloth and the pollish will be easier to apply trust me I was amazed how much this helps, every now and then soak the pad again to remove the polish and carry on aplying to the whole car, buff off after the whole car is done.
Then wax the car with the same method as polishing.
It is then up to you how often you wax it but I do a second layer after the next wash then top it up once a month, your car should stay much cleaner after this process. I strip my car every 6 months of all wax and polish using this method and my car always looks clean. The tar is easily removed with a quick wash as the wax wont let it bond to the paintwork and I dont spend all my time washing the car trying to remove it.
I know this seems excessive to most people but the way I see it is I spend 4-5 hours doing this once every 6 months then I dont have to waste time the rest of the year just a 30min wash once a week.

I just realised I never said the tar remover I used was Autoglym Tar Remover. Pour it into a spray bottle much easier to apply that way.

Autosmart Tardis is the one to go for. Sooooo much better than the autoglym one imo.
Wash the car then apply Tardis, allow to soak for 3-5mins then wipe off with a cloth.

Saves a sh!t loads of rubbing like hell with the clay bar.

Tardis for removal definitely. If not, there are many on the market that do as good a job. I tested some from a company called car-chem that was really good and not to expensive.

Claying to remove all what you can't see is a good idea, but I would use iron x first for any metal contaminants.

Also get the softest clay you can find, as Jap paint does mar easily.

I was once a clay bar only advocate but after using tar removers, I am a convert. It saves both time and clay bars, which are not cheap. The more tar you can remove with a cloth and tar remover, the less chunks of tar you will have in your clay bar to potentially scratch up your car. On a big, well bonded bit of tar you can spend 5 minutes with a clay bar or 5 seconds with tar remover.

Back