• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loxy's Type R #4

Not one to hang about. Solid Fabs exhaust sold and Tegiwa cat back bought. :lol:

That didn't last long! Must have been annoying!

Exhaust is a dilemma for me as well because I know 3" seems to be from what I've read the way to go for performance, but I hate the drone you'd likely get when on a long run! Plus I would need it to track friendly so I can indulge in a couple of sessions. :)

I didn't think it was that bad again on the drive to work this morning, it does sound lovely on downshifts, but yeah I've done it before where the mods have gone too far and I've stopped enjoying the car as much as I did. I'll sacrifice a few bhp at top end for a better, "experience."

The funny thing is I bet it is very track friendly as it is quite subtle at 70mph and at WOT over 5k, it was just very shouty under 2.5k. I'm sure the new owner will love it, but it just wasn't for me.

The last FN2 I drove with a Tegiwa header and Tegiwa catback sounded gorgeous, and so will mine shortly.

Stick to what you know then mate! Sounds like a plan anyway. :)

I think that's the sort of mind set I'll have to go in with, sacrifice out right bhp figures for an experience I'll still enjoy!

Time to find some tunnels. :)

Need to find some locally too, the A3 Hindhead one has got SPECs cameras on it. Boo.

I've actually considered changing my exhaust. Why you ask, something wrong with mine? No, just because. :lol:

I know what you mean about the exhaust. My last GTO had a loud exhaust and it was really hard to live with on a daily basis. I ended up sticking two bags of steel wool up the pipes into the back box to quieten it down. It was just bearable then.

Peter.

Great thread Loxy.

Call me old...... I used to love the loud exhausts but I am more than happy with the standard exhaust on my EP3 lol. Yes yes I'm old......but my insurance is cheap :)

Loxy out of interest do you miss you old EP3 or much prefer the FN2? I wasn't a fan of the FN2 but they have grown on me. CW and the Mugen models I would say are my fav FN2s

It's not that bad TBH, I'm used to it now having driven over the weekend with it. I just can't hear the intake over it and for that it dominates the sound of the car for me. I might regret getting rid, who knows.

I much prefer the FN2. The main points are the steering is much better on the FN2, with the rack being quicker the car just feels more pointy and the high speed stability is much better on the FN2, you just have a lot more confidence when pushing on.

The Vtec kicks in at lower revs 5200 on the FN2 compared to the 5800 on the EP3. I mean on stock FN2 and EP3 :)
i heard that was due to the FN2 being heavier?

I bought CAR magazine at the weekend and they did a few page article on the new R and it came out 1st against the golf and Megane RS. I will find it and put it u in the FK2 section. :)

Lower VTEC window was to make the car more drivable following feedback from the EP3.

The gear ratios are shorter on the FN2 to compensate for the additional weight.

I was reading the Pistonheads review this morning. They put the Megane over the FK2. :lol: Close call and down to personal preference IMHO. I personally didn't like the Megane nor its build quality.

More progress today.

I took a trip over to Grinspeed to get the rest of the bits that were sitting in the garage fitted.

Today Lee did the spanner work and cracked on with gusto.

So I had fitted:
Tegiwa exhaust manifold
Tegiwa cat back
RRC inlet manifold with thermal gasket
J37 78/70mm throttle body with thermal gaskets
Skunk2 big throttle body adaptor to the Skunk2 intake
OEM RRC inlet manifold cover

No remap yet though. The plan was to get this work done next week and get it remapped at TDi-North the day after, but things have conspired against me and I can't do next week. Stevie managed to squeeze me in this week but TDi couldn't, so I'm booked in to go down towards the end of July. So, GroupN map and minimal driving and minimal, if any, VTEC until then. I'm actually very surprised at how well it drives on the big throttle body, it's definitely drivable. :lol:

Oh, and I'm much much happier with the exhaust than before. Sounds properly Jap, purposeful and subtle when you want it.

Anyway, numbers in a month or so... :p

Damn mate you are not hanging about with mods, do you have a money tree somewhere lol. Sounds like good progress, :)

You've had that clutch in for at least a month John, you're well overdue a change ;)

....and what cams have you got on order? :lol:

Glad you ain't messing about John. I know how you feel with regards the exhaust. As my Tdi North one is now off my car I am running a Milltek resonated (yes you read that right). Thought I would be disappointed but I find am am enjoying the car more. Pleasant to drive on motorways and nice and quiet when I want it to be. Put your foot down and it opens up nicely.

Looking forward to the numbers. :)

Back