• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

LSD for UK EP3 CTR

Recently bought a CTR. Was wondering if anyone had fitted a JDM LSD, Spoon, Quaife or similar to a UK CTR? What are the rough costs involved? I've read that they can be noisy. Just how noisy are they?

Quiaffe and JDM diff aren’t noisy tbh. It’s the plate diffs that are noisy Spoon, Kaaz etc The plate diffs also need servicing (although not as much as people think) but they are the better types of diff.

Cost – I think the Quaiffe is around £560 iirc and is about £500 fitting The JDM diff is a bugger to get hold of last time I checked.

I've fitted a JDM LSD to mine and it's no noiser than STD. It's only the plate type diffs that are a little noiser.

Have a search through the forum and you'll find plenty of discussion over LSD's.

Hope this helps.

Fitting shouldn't be anymore than £350-400 for any of the diffs available IMO

I've recently fitted a Kaaz diff in my DC2 and it's a bit of a pain at low speeds as it clunks and makes the car effectively bunny hop on full lock/low speeds but as soon as you've got power down it's awesome. For most though a quaife diff will be more than enough:)

Fitting shouldn't be anymore than £350-400 for any of the diffs available IMO

I've recently fitted a Kaaz diff in my DC2 and it's a bit of a pain at low speeds as it clunks and makes the car effectively bunny hop on full lock/low speeds but as soon as you've got power down it's awesome. For most though a quaife diff will be more than enough:)

Was going to go for the Kaaz but 2 different things put me off

1 – The bloke selling them ‘ahem’ quoted 4 different prices in two days, that put me off a bit
2 – speaking to TGM tom said it’s a pain in the backside at slow speeds and sounds like a bucket of bolts lol

Apart from that I was very interested, how you getting on with it out of curiosity? Did you have the JDM diff previously? How do they compare?

Was going to go for the Kaaz but 2 different things put me off

1 – The bloke selling them ‘ahem’ quoted 4 different prices in two days, that put me off a bit
2 – speaking to TGM tom said it’s a pain in the backside at slow speeds and sounds like a bucket of bolts lol

Apart from that I was very interested, how you getting on with it out of curiosity? Did you have the JDM diff previously? How do they compare?

I did indeed have the stock diff, and the difference is like chalk and cheese.
It's like going from no diff to a quaife in the leap of how it performs, so is a massive step up over the stock JDM diff. In all honesty if you can put up with it being a pain at slow speeds with it clunking away and so on it's great, but it is aggresive and takes a bit of getting used to. I put my foot down mid roundabout the other day and it made the back end step out which is great as it means no understeer, but just have to be a little more aware that the back end will move around more both under power and when backing off!

I didn't get mine from the man who quoted you, mine came from Dixon at Proracer imports, only slightly more pricey, but it doesn't come with the bearings that you'd need that press onto the diff. The spoon one does so factor that into the costs if you go the Kaaz route. I think it's about £50 for the two bearings you'll need in the K20 gearbox.

Thanks for all the responses. Another question. As the Quaife is a 1 way lsd it doesn't work under deceleration, right? Is this a big disadvantage or will it not be too noticeable? Cheers

Thanks for all the responses. Another question. As the Quaife is a 1 way lsd it doesn't work under deceleration, right? Is this a big disadvantage or will it not be too noticeable? Cheers

Yeah thats right it won't lock under decelaration, but in all honesty it isn't that much of a big deal really and in 99% of situations it won't make any difference at all:)

The Kaaz is a 1.5 way so partially locks under decelaration so it's not a big difference:)

I doubt ill supercharge mines anymore so I take it a jdm one will do as good a job as the quaiffe?

I doubt ill supercharge mines anymore so I take it a jdm one will do as good a job as the quaiffe?

The JDM one will work fine, the quaife will be a bit better again in terms of how well it actually works, but, either will do the job man:D

I'd only fit the JDM one if I could get one cheap though, otherwise the quaife would be the better by if you were having to pay similair money for either:)

^^ Cheers mate, there may be a chance of one or 2 jdms in the future for a good price say £250 ish which I think I will take up.

Back