• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Lucky escape...!

Rcb

Let my mate drive my EP3 tonight. He's never driven anything VTEC before but he was very much enjoying it coming from a turbo, he says how much more involving it is.

Anyway, after about 15 minutes into his drive we approached a roundabout, at about 70ish for some reason he plonked it straight into 2nd to approach the roundabout. It went in, the rev counter went well past the 9k and closer to where 10k should be I think... he braked hard and put the clutch back in almost straight away. I shat my pants, but I've driven it for about 30 miles after the "incident" and it still drives faultless as it did before. These VTEC engines really are strong little buggers :eek:

Overrevving can cause all sorts of nasty things though :? .

Hopefully by the sounds of things he didnt let the drivetrain connect to the engine for too long and he didn't bend, snap, strain anything.

If its driving ok now then it should be ok as in most cases its an instant, obvious problem.

Loxy a member in here did it in his FN2 recently, much like you case and his is fine.

Just check the oil and keep your eyes and ears on it for a bit.

If you were being real para, you could take it to Honda and they will be able to run a diagnostic check and see exactly what it ran too and give it a once over.

Just keep a close eye on oil consumption and watch your temps. If all is ok after a week or so ( about 100 odd miles ) then you got away with it. You is very lucky!

Drove over to Leicester today which is about an 80 mile round trip and no problems. Not used any oil either. Looks like I was lucky, my mate has offered to pay for a new engine though :lol:

I hit 1st going down for 3rd for an overtake. I've heard of people stretching the cam chain and all sorts by doing this so I was bricking it a bit.

Done well over 4k since my 'incident' and the engine is still running without any issues, sweet as a nut. :smt023

Moral of the story. Don't let people who don't understand simple physics drive your car.

Back