• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Members only section

Funky

Events Organiser
I was thinking it would be nice to have a special section of the forum just for the regular and long standing members. Entry requirements something like 1 years membership and 500 posts.

The idea is that we can post things up that we want to share/discuss that only other forum members with access can see. I got this idea from Talk Audio, it seems to work very well on there. I have some other ideas for this section if everyone else wants it?

The idea is you can post anything you like, but whatever is posted/discussed is not repeated outside of the members only section. Also people do not get automatic entry after 1 year and 500 posts like they do with the classifieds sections, instead they have to apply for access and their application be reviewed by a mod.

in other words- "pre-selected gang only" :lol:

To be honest, i now use TRO more than CTRO because of the number of numpties posting over there and its just no longer good to use.

TRO has a more "family" feel to it as as we all know, most of the members here were "established" members over on CTRO but this site was created by Chris after the EvoStu/PPUK incident and also the number of idiots posting.

Just thought i put my 2p worth into this :p

TRO has a more "family" feel to it as as we all know, most of the members here were "established" members over on CTRO but this site was created by Chris after the EvoStu/PPUK incident and also the number of idiots posting.

there is a family feel to this site, coming on and being able to ask a question without feeling that everyone is going to give you stick for it is great. Having never been on anyother forum before joining this one I was amazed at how friendly this place is compaired to the scottish civic club which I joined after and found sarcasm at every corner. An older section would be good, but I know that i'm going to have to post more now to qualify!!! ;)

Two legs good, four legs bad.

Tosh idea, in my opinion - and not just because I don't have enough posts to qualify.

But I don't agree with the principle of it.

It'll create an 'us and them'.

Not what this forum is at present and not the direction I think it should head.

But I don't agree with the principle of it.

It'll create an 'us and them'.

Not what this forum is at present and not the direction I think it should head.

Agree with you there Wayne :smt023

i guess this was what i was trying to get at with my earlier post

Possibly a good idea, but it may make some "lower" class members feel left out

The major problem with this idea is segregation.

Would you want to feel as out of place as those "unfit" forum users?

Personally I think it would harm TRO more than add to it.

Its just the same as the mods' "discussion" area that nobody else can see. It is there and they do discuss matters/share things that nobody else knows about. There are some things that you dont want "public" but you would still want to maybe discuss or share with other forum members. e.g. you have unfortunately split with your partner and need to talk about it or you have a personal question you would like to ask others. Or maybe some pics you want to share but dont want "joe public" to be able to get access to.

At present things like that are normally shared via msn but that limits you to whoever is on your msn list, so people you might normally talk to on the forum but dont have msn wont get a look in. The reason for having the 1 years membership & 500 post requirement is so that "leechers" who like to join forums to get the benefits without contributing anything to others can be excluded. Obviously people who are well known in the community but dont have the required post count can be assessed individually by the mods.

Anyway, it works very well on Talk Audio and I think it could work well on here too. Its up to the mods if they want to implement it, but I wouldn't take it too seriously or start thinking conspiracy theory :lol: ;)

The major problem with this idea is segregation.

Would you want to feel as out of place as those "unfit" forum users?

Personally I think it would harm TRO more than add to it.

I've been a member on TalkAudio.co.uk for over 2 years, I've only just gained access to the Members only section about a month ago. I didn't feel left out or bothered because I didn't know what went on in there, I didn't know what I was missing because of the golden rule; "what goes on in members only stays in members only"

Anyway, it was just an idea I wanted to share...

Maybe a Paid subscription to get in to said area then only the people who fill it worth while i.e long standing members and people such as my self who wish to be a part of the club for the long term will actually pay, thus the Riff raff wont, but wont fill segregated as its there choice to pay or not.

Ideas are always welcome fella - nothing wrong with that. :cool:

Once Chris has completed the course he is on and can spend some time considering the idea then I am sure he will offer an answer to the thread subject matter. :cool:

Back