• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Metallic rattle when moving off.

NickCTR

Moron
From what i've read, the driveshaft rattle is around 2-3k RPM, so I figured I have a different problem. It happens when I am pulling away, it sounds like it's coming from the front O/S, but this could be because when I hear it I am usually in the driver's seat.

Exhaust manifold cover maybe?

On cold mornings I sometimes hear a noise on starting up, it too sounds like it could be manifold cover.

TIA

if its like a buzzing sound then i would say driveshaft heat shield, 10min job to loosen oil the bolts / washes and re-tighten

I have a NHB 55,Ep3...When i start mine up in the mornings as i turn the key and the engine starts there a rattling/buzzing sound which only last for about a second as the engine turns over !! Then as i reverse or drive off there's a rattling/buzzing sound again but not as loud then as i drive it stops ?? the problem only happens when the car as been standing for some time mainly over night,there is the odd time when i start the engine in the morning,the sound isnt there....

could it be my heatshield???

Thanks

Took the car to ATS this afternoon, heatshield was very loose. They put a washer behind a nut, and added some thread lock. Rattle gone :D

Also, my exhaust was blowing, where the b-pipe meets the backbox. They unbolted it and added a gasket and some sealant, job now a good one.

All for free :cool:

I gave the guy a fiver though, he worked on the car for about an hour.

:)

True, but rather that than the unreliable NHB engines. How long did yours last again? :p

Back