• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Milano EP3 checks in - UPDATED 23.03.10

Looks as though you got yourself a quality purchase there! Looks in very good nick :smt023:

Thanks, I can't take credit for that all I have done is given it a bath. It looks good in the photos but it does need a good days correcting and polishing to get the best out of it. As soon as I get a good day weather wise it will really gleam.

Its got a little over 91k on the clock.

When I went to view the car and took it for a test drive it was apparent that selecting first and second gear when the box was cold proved to be a bit of an issue. In fact it was on my list of stuff to check when looking at an EP3 as it seemed to be a common complaint.

Fortunately as the car warmed up on the test drive first and second became easy to select in line with the rest of the gears. I deceided after speaking to the seller who advised that he had changed the gearbox oil but couldn’t remember what he had filled it with, that a simple change oil should cure the issue.

After a bit of research I came to the conclusion that the oil best suited to the job was the Honda MTF-3 (part number 08267-99901HE). So I took advantage of the better weather last weekend and got cracking. I started with the gearbox oil, which when removing the filler plug seemed a little low if anything. After draining I refilled with the Honda oil.

After the gearbox oil change I moved in to the engine oil. For this I decided to use Silkolene Pro-S 5W-40 fully synthetic with a Hamp oil filter. Nice and straight forward although Honda in their wisdom decided to mount the oil filter above the O/S driveshaft with no easy way to drain the oil into a container. So a little cleaning of the driveshaft and subframe was required afterwards.

Anyway back to the gearbox. First impressions before even moving the car were that gear selection was much improved, less notchy and more positive and that has been the theme throughout the day today. The more I have driven the better the box has felt. Problem solved. Definately worth taking the time to replace.

13.jpg

14.jpg

I really need to get an arch liner ordered as well. The lack of one is allowing so much crap into the engine bay.

15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
changed my gear box oil few weeks back used the same oil which is in the faq on here, also put some slick 50 in there as well car is dream to drive again , defantly worth changing oil if gear selcting is getting a bit annoying

Not had a lot to report really modification wise. Coilovers are on and have been initially set up. Need to do the front toe again as the N/S track rod end is shot so have got a new one to replace it with. The N/S arch liner was missing when I bought the car which meant dirt flying everywhere and the engine bay looking like this.

15.jpg

Honda kindly relieved me of way too much money for a flimsy bit of plastic.

19.JPG

Before

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

After

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

Which means that the engine bay can stay clean again.

23.JPG

24.JPG

I have been promising myself that I would spend some time getting the paintwork right. On the face of it it looks pretty clean but there was no protection and it was full of swirls.

So this weekend between rain showers I set about sorting it. Spent a full day on Sunday just claying the thing, I didn't realise just how much tar had collected on the bottom of the doors and the side skirts. Yesterday and today was a case of polishing and then applying some Supernatural.

Managed to get everything apart from the bumpers and skirts finished.

Really pleased with the end result.

26.JPG

27.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

That looks wicked, I would say red (and black) is the most rewarding colours after a good clean and detail

That looks wicked, I would say red (and black) is the most rewarding colours after a good clean and detail

Thanks

I have to agree, you do seem to get good results from red paintwork. I've never had a black car so not tackled that yet. Although that said the satin silver looks fantastic with a deep wet gloss finish. Satin is one of my favourite colours for the EP3 after Milano.

Thanks

I have to agree, you do seem to get good results from red paintwork. I've never had a black car so not tackled that yet. Although that said the satin silver looks fantastic with a deep wet gloss finish. Satin is one of my favourite colours for the EP3 after Milano.

Black is a PITA, I washed my gf's Corsa last year and it was so hot and I had no cover anywhere so the paint was red hot, I cooled it with the hose. Came back to wax and it had dried already with stubborn water marks. Sort of wished I hadnt started on it lol.
Why thank you, only real benefit of silver is it hides water marks well and looks clean for that bit longer lol (Lazy man's colour)

You look like you're missing a couple of panels in the bay too, unless you've removed it for the purpose of the pics?

If you are... (missing panels)

Where the the rubbish has built up, as a result of the missing arch liner - you should not be able to see that area of the bay when you pop the bonnet, as that area should be concealed by a black plastic cover on both sides (which aren't in your pics).

You sure the car hasn't been in an accident - can't think why those covers would be removed otherwise?

Those arch liners are a bump - I paid £100 for both, new. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a similar discussion on a different thread regarding the inner covers and the opinion was that the pre-facelift models didn't come with them fitted.

Right - fair play mate. My bad, I think you might be right.

It's just that I was having a fiddle with my arches over the weekend, and when I noticed that you didn't have them - I thought it was odd. Mine is a facelift, and I've quickly searched the forum for other prefacelifts, and it looks like you're correct. :)

Back