• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Mixing tyre profiles

I need 4 new tyres as 2 are illegal already and the other 2 are close, these are both 215/40 atm

I'm looking at getting 2 yoko ad08s for the front and then putting some budgets I have already on the back which are oem 205/45, what profile works best? 225/45 are the cheapest for ad08s but I wanted 215/45 but these are out of stock?! Can I mix 225/45 with 205/45 ???? Would only be for a couple months but getting new suspension fitted and don't want to do the FRSU with bald tyres!?

The 45 bit is a ratio of the tyre width, so a 225/45 tyre will actually have a larger tyre wall than a 205/45, so will have a bigger rolling radius.

Most tyre calculators will work the difference out for you. E.g. http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator

It's not recommended and I've had tyre fitters refuse to put different width tyres front to rear on my EP3. That being said another place down the road did them without question.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the budgets, they are going to be rubbish anyway. Just suck it up and buy four.

Oh, and you should always put the tyres with the least grip on the front of a FWD car. It's more likely as a non-racing driver that you'll successfully correct an understeer moment than an oversteer moment. ;)

mixing profiles front to back is fine for a while but not across axles. mot failure and proper sketchy, even i wouldn't do that.

17*7 IIRC.

Also different sizes front and rear will affect the ABS system and may even bring the warning light on.

You mean "back off and hope it sorts itself out because there's f*ck all else you can do about it" :lol:

Exactly that.

If you get oversteer and lift off it gets worse, all hell breaks loose if you hit the brakes. Then there's always the snap if you catch it but over correct.

Car manufacturers engineer it in and term it "safety understeer."

(I'm sure you know this, just for the OP's benefit!)

Back