• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Mr_gangrel's 229bhp Nurburgring Nordschleife track weapon. Looking for another CTR

I have been on Civic Type R owners forum for years but I didn't really post that much and I thought it was about time to broaden my horizons. So hi to all of you here.

This is my second EP3 and this time I thought I would go for a completely stripped track car.

My previous cars have all been great in their own way but for some reason or another they weren't quite right as a track car for me.

My previous cars are as follows-

2001 Astra 2.2 Coupe
2004 EP3 CTR
2005 Mazda MPS Aero
2010 Mk2 Focus RS
2009 FN2 CTR
2009 E92 BMW M3 Monte Carlo
2015 Seat Leon Cupra 280
2003 EP3 CTR

So to my new ish baby, I've taken her around Brands Indy and achieved a 56.60 but most recently I managed to put in an 8 min 02:42 around the Nurburgring which has made the car the fastest EP3 and FN2 around there.

I've had her for about a year and bought her fairly stock albeit with most of the interior already ripped out. Its taken a while but shes now a good spec car that is well balanced and quick.

Her spec-

2003 Non A/C
229bhp 170 ft/lbs mapped by Romain @ Eurospec
Japspeed 4-2-1 manifold
Tegiwa Catback
Injen CAI
Non ported RBC
Hondata K100
New Exedy OEM Clutch
Fidanza lightweight Flywheel
MFactory Plated LSD
Clockwise baffled sump
Shortened steering arms
Inverted tie rod ends
Rack raiser
Fully polybushed
75A engine/gearbox mounts
Camber bolts
Caster bush kit
Yellow speed track coilovers
Rear camber arms
Tegiwa 24mm ARB
Stoptech 328mm BBK w/ Pagid RS29 Endurance pads
PBS rear pads
Fully stripped
Safety devices half cage
Personal snap off steering wheel
I-Shift lights
Sparco Circuit VTR seat (winged)
Sparco Evo seat (Non winged for the road driving)

I think that's most of the spec from memory. She been a good car and although shes been used hard she has been maintained meticulously and hasn't put a foot wrong.

I love the fact that a 13 year old N/A hot hatch can be so fast (relatively) compared to brand new turbo metal makes me happy. These cars are really quite fast when a few choice mods are applied.

I'll go back to the 'ring sometime this year to get that first sub 8 lap (which should of been in the bag if it wasn't for traffic) but I would like to aim for a sub 7 min 45 so a few choice mods will have to take place for this to happen. This would be in the serious quick category and i'll be consistently harassing GT3RS and Schirmer E92 M3. This is my aim.

Final drive, probably a 5.46 as anything higher will take too much top speed away.
Stage 1 cams for some extra horses
3" catback with a better exhaust manifold.
I would like to get some proper aero on her maybe a Stuke front splitter and a Mugen spoiler.

I'm hoping with another 20 odd horses and a more accelerative FD a 7 min 45 is achievable, even if I may need a bit more tuition to be able to extract that time. With a 250 bhp ish car I think I could be close to this goal.

So those are my plans, that and a few more UK based track days.

I'll get some photos up of her once she's been cleaned and here is my fastest 'ring lap of 8 min 02 if you fancy watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDjQzPFRksc

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great time. I'll watch the video later. How do you find the Pagid pads?

Awesome stuff and really impressive time! You must have been round the 'Ring a fair few times to be confident enough to aim for times like that?!

I admire your balls, sir. =D>

Some rear arch rubbing going on? What's that squeek on the left handers over bumps?

The Pagid pads are amazing, absolutely no fade , great brake modulation and feel. I use them in conjunction with Castrol SRF fluid. They need 1 or 2 brake applications to get heat into them but that is all.

I've completed 64 laps around there inclusive of that lap. I know it quite well but I don't know all the tarmac changes etc Still plenty to learn.

All that noise is rubbing, I softened the dampening a touch due to the bumpy nature of the place.

Great vid , I used to love going over there , but my recent trip, I felt a bit "meh" with the ring experience.

I think I much prefer spa nowadays.

Great vid , I used to love going over there , but my recent trip, I felt a bit "meh" with the ring experience.

I think I much prefer spa nowadays.

Whys that? Is that specifically TF? Is this due to the amount of track closures and various degrees of driving ability from VLN class racers to Brits in Meganes that are bat **** crazy?

I have never been to Spa (I know I'm missing out) but you must get plenty of the same varying driving standards on there as well?

Welcome in, loved the video. Overlay was great. How many laps have you done? Looks like you know it well.

Get some decent pictures up :)

I've completed 64 laps around there inclusive of that lap. I know it quite well but I don't know all the tarmac changes etc Still plenty to learn.

I still haven't cleaned her this weekend I was busy boozing it but here she is after her 'ring lap record back in the Lindner Congress car park.

IMG_2082_zpsawbfxanz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Heres a few pictures from last years build at Area Motorsports-

IMG_1552_zps7usdaecw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1555_zpsd1fn0o1o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1554_zpsc2ba05nd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2ca8f4b9-7e47-4502-bc4e-ba41f1bb243f_zpszn2x1mxz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A very worn clutch.

IMG_1509_zpslkfzh21o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My MFactory plated LSD. Which is a revelation, at no point does it not pull me along be it if I'm jumping kerbs or putting a misplaced wheel in the dirt. This is one of the reasons the car is so fast.

IMG_1507_zpss7evmdck.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After my RBC was fitted. Yep, the cam cover needs a refresh but this is a race car. :)

IMG_1601_zpsgx0xgomz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Heres a graph from my dyno at Eurospec by Romain. The red line is with a sound silencer, it loses around 10bhp but is safe to use which is rare. The reason I got one at all is that I got pulled at Brands on the drive by which is strange considering I have a Tegiwa Cat back. I have read on PH that Brands has been funny recently.

IMG_1602_zpskjdqwgnm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is the car with silencer. A point to note is the rear looks somewhat scruffy now due to the fact this silencer directing all the hot air back inside the bumper which melted said bumper and drivers side light cluster. I've replaced the cluster but taken the lower (melted) splitter off and just left the bumper with what I like to call a cooling aid for the exhaust (a big cutout around the exhaust) i'll get pictures soon.

IMG_1584_zpsfdzpkpay.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These are my 15mm spacers for my Stoptech BBK.

IMG_1605_zpsjii1yuci.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The sexy kit itself.

IMG_1609_zpsf4czswfm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1615_zpsqqlxdnay.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1612_zpsgopuof0w.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The interior, I have gone to town with blue tape to wrap up the looms which isn't seen here though.This was pre half cage and other work. The harnesses are attached to the cage not the floor.

IMG_1517_zpsajiy7yls.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1516_zpsofa0gtwc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My track wheels. A lot less rubber on them now though. Probably only one track day left before I'll have to get some fresh rubber.

IMG_1542_zpsvrwajgtr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This was her at Brands.

IMG_1585_zpsvgvuync9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thats where she is at the moment, after a good clean she will be ready for another trackday. Although I can't stop thinking about moving on and getting an e46 M3 and going crazy with her. Although I said earlier in this thread I want an EP3 with sub 7:45 potential if I bought an e46 a sub 7:30 would be available that where my next true goal lies. To do that with the EP would be extremely expensive if it is even possible.

I'll have a good think about it and do some (man) maths and see what I come up with. If I do get rid it would be a shame not to have done the first sub 8 but i'm so sure myself and the car can do it, its almost like I have. I know that might sound like **** but getting times are all really due to factors outside my control.

I also want to start going to Spa a lot so a powerful car is a must have for quick times.

I'll keep you posted.

I've also posted this on Civic Type R forum. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I appreciate that buying a dedicated track car is only going to hit a certain market but I thought I would ask here for some expert advice to help me decide the fate of 'Jessica'. Yes, I name my cars.

I have been considering putting a 5.4/5.1 FD and cams to make her faster to achieve a 7:45 around the 'ring but my real goal is to do a sub 7:30 and without significant power increase i just don't think its possible. Not by me anyway.

I love N/A cars so I don't want to go FI. That leaves me in a predicament, do I mod as much as i can go N/A costing X thousands or buy say an e46 M3 and go from there. The e46 looks the best bet and due to wanting to gets some decent times in Spa probably the most sensible route.

She is the fastest ever car around the 'ring which show what a great package she is. An 8:02 is no mean feat as the previous record was an 8:15 that stood for around 4 years and with a more powerful car and FD etc.

I'd guess most of you have seen the car but if not here is the spec-

2003 Non A/C around 83k miles road legal MOT runs out July 2016
229bhp 170 ft/lbs mapped by Romain @ Eurospec
Japspeed 4-2-1 manifold
Tegiwa Catback
Injen CAI
Non ported RBC
Hondata K100
New Exedy OEM Clutch and fluid change
Fidanza lightweight Flywheel
MFactory Plated LSD
Clockwise baffled sump
Shortened steering arms
Inverted tie rod ends
Fully polybushed
innovative 75A engine/gearbox mounts
Camber bolts
Superpro Caster bush kit
Yellow speed track coilovers with Area Eibach springs
DME Rear camber arms
Tegiwa 24mm ARB
Stoptech 328mm BBK w/ Pagid RS29 Endurance pads
PBS rear pads
Fully stripped
Safety devices half cage
Personal snap off steering wheel and hub
I-Shift lights
Sparco Circuit VTR seat (winged)
Sparco Evo seat (Non winged for the road driving)
TRS 6 point harrnesses
Spare Enkei wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ03G 215/45/17 (Although prob only one trackday left in them)

She was serviced mostly by Honda til 50k miles then an indepent until 75k where Area motorsports and I took over.

Usual track maintain happened after ever track day of new Millers Nanodrive 5W40 oil and filter and Castrol SRF brake fluid bleed.

The body work is what you would expect for a track car, stone chips on the front bumper and the bonnet. Also a few dings in the wings (not by me). The rear bumper has also being modified for heat dissipation.

She is all about performance over looks. (she isn't that bad just not as immaculate as some cars on here)

I know people will say break her and recoup some costs but I will much prefer to keep her as she is so others can enjoy her. Yes, I have the standards brakes to put on but this about it.

To the price, I have invested around £12k inclusive of the car and she's turned out to be a stunner. I look at buying anything from the position of what would I pay for it knowing precisely its ability. Some people would see Michelin starred food as pretentious and overpriced crap. Others think its the height of cuisine etc.

To that end, I'm looking in the region of £6k. No doubt some of you will think that is overpriced and I welcome your reasoning behind it. To me this car has proven its speed, to me as a track car that is all that concerns me.

So how much for a very close to Civic Cup spec car that with a small investment could compete in that series and the fastest EP3 and FN2, N/A or FI to ever lap the Green Hell?

Your thoughts please.

Regards.

Shame to get rid. E46 M3 will be a monster when done right, just won't be cheap. Look up Gibbo on OcUK who has bought one and track prep'd it. He's also on Cutters.

Cheers. Yeah, M3cutters has been the catalyst. I'm still on there from my days in the E92 and I have that RWD urge again. I love the EP but need 350bhp N/A and that sub 7:30.

I had an Akrapovic titanium cat back on my Monte Carlo and it sounded awesome, it stopped well with the Alcon BBK all round as well. It just wasn't a track car, too heavy. I wasn't prepared to rip the interior out which would of helped immensely.

I love that lightness and flick ability the EP has. I want that with a lot more power. Mind you the EP is probably around 1150kgs, i'll never get a E46 down to that even the race cars are around 1250kgs. It's a tough call.

If I don't get a good price for the EP i'll just keep her and put the money into her I would of lost selling her to make her faster. That makes sense in my head.

£6k is acceptable any less and it will be a waste of money. Having to buy a £10k e46 and then mod it with the mods I want (similar spec to the EP) which by the looks of it will only give me another 20-25 secs around the Nordschleife for a £10k output. Almost doesn't seem worth it and i'm using my best man maths. When you have an itch though...

Would be a shame to see the car go after all the hard work you've put in with the car and the lap times! I do wonder what would be achievable if you could have a totally clear track.

I do keep thinking about this. I've re watched the video once or twice and I really think a low to mid 7:50s is on. Once I get some get some good photos and put a decent advert on PH i'm sure someone will buy it and get that time.

I had an Akrapovic titanium cat back on my Monte Carlo and it sounded awesome, it stopped well with the Alcon BBK all round as well. It just wasn't a track car, too heavy. I wasn't prepared to rip the interior out which would of helped immensely.

I love that lightness and flick ability the EP has. I want that with a lot more power. Mind you the EP is probably around 1150kgs, i'll never get a E46 down to that even the race cars are around 1250kgs. It's a tough call.

If I don't get a good price for the EP i'll just keep her and put the money into her I would of lost selling her to make her faster. That makes sense in my head.

£6k is acceptable any less and it will be a waste of money. Having to buy a £10k e46 and then mod it with the mods I want (similar spec to the EP) which by the looks of it will only give me another 20-25 secs around the Nordschleife for a £10k output. Almost doesn't seem worth it and i'm using my best man maths. When you have an itch though...

if you were running a GSR airbox then it would be totally worth it they sound amazing has to be the biggest thing I miss about mine

God £6K for all the work you've done = a BARGAIN! 6 months ago I would have taken your whole arm off for it ......

Best of luck with the sale!

MM.

Back