• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My EP3, TDi Turbo Kit. 420bhp + 300ftlb @ 12Psi. 12.6s @119mph, Street Tyres

So yet another trip to Santa Pod this morning, it was literally get there, do some runs and get home, as Ive got a Rugby game to attend tonight. So I arrived at 9.00am, Strip opened at 9:30am, got in 5 runs, and I left for home at 10:30am.

Fastest for the day was 12.6s @ 119mph, my fastest yet by a considerable amount. I think I can go faster if there isn't a 25mph headwind, but without Slicks on this is close to as fast as I can go.

Ticket.

AAASantaPod16-6-12.jpg

Nice going Tom. Was that with half a tank and no passenger seat then?

Nice going Tom. Was that with half a tank and no passenger seat then?

Half a tank of fuel, can't run it any lower as the fuel pump starts making funny noise's, 30Psi in the fronts, I forgot my Compressor so didn't want to go any lower.
I got talking to a lad in a standard EP3, and he let me leave my Spare with him, but I was still running the Passenger Seat. I think I can squeeze a little bit more out of it as it is. Probably at the TRO Santa Pod meet in August, I will have somewhere to leave my stuff so can go pretty mental on the weight saving, and I can run lower tyre pressures too.

Good to see its still progressing.

Now fit the slicks and sidestep clutch at 6k rpm.

:lol:

Need the Driveshafts first, its a long way to be towed home. Thats the plan though.

Yeah he makes Podington look like 'Stars in their eyes' when he performs his burnout. He is there for about 30 seconds.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the word lag with your turbo. A 6266 is a big turbo for a 2 liter. I guess you won't notice it as much at the moment as the standard engine is running a CR of 11.5:1 if I remember correctly. If you go forged and run the same compression ratio, you'd never be able to push the boost, which means you are limited to push the boundaries. You would have to drop the CR considerably to run high boost, and then your off boost torque disappears, which will make your car super laggy. If you intend on using it mainly as a drag car, then it would be the perfect setup, but as a road car, it would be near enough undriveable.

And to say that you can run 800BHP at 50psi, I'd be very wary taking such comments on board without fully understanding how it can be achieved. Certainly with your setup, this wouldn't be even close to possible, although you would still be able to make some good power.

Nice build so far and I hope you achieve your goals.

Awesome time Tom.
Possibly the fastest EP3 on road tires now. :D

Pero -
Compression won't make much difference to be honest as we can add in more ignition, plus its going to have some better cams installed so that will help as well. Efficiency curve of the turbo doesn't change anyway plus we are already holding the boost back to stop it spiking and to protect the motor.

Lag isnt something that you worry about as the last thing you want on a FWD NA car is big power at low rpm. The car drives like a normal tuned Type-R off boost but when you are moving and over 5000rpm power delivery is smooth and controllable. Its not like its all in 1 big hit as you can control the boost levels in each gear if you want.

800bhp is the target and easily achieved as long as the motor is spec'd up right. They are running over 1200bhp on 2L Honda motors in the States and running rediculously fast times but they are dedicated drag cars. Tom wants to be able to use it on the road at the moment but long term plan is to make it a focused drag car. Its motor next, driveshafts and 8 second cage to come........ oh and a parachute. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it will be very impressive if you could get 800bhp on pump fuel with the standard compression ratio!

Back