• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My EP3 wont always change gear!

I am finding that, particularly when pushing hard, I cannot always change gear. I am having to either force it in, or release the clutch and try again. It also happens every now and again when in neutral and trying to engage first. There seems to be no slipping of the clutch and it doesn't grind on the way into a gear. It simply won't change! Can anyone advise on what I can do?

New clutch needed is my guess. My old EP3 used to do this without slipping etc.

Do you find it particularly does it going from 1st to 2nd?

What's your mileage like?

Yes, first to second is a pig! The milage is around 50k, so I suppose its not unreasonable to think its the clutch, I would prefer it not to be though!

Yes, first to second is a pig! The milage is around 50k, so I suppose its not unreasonable to think its the clutch, I would prefer it not to be though!

Clutch cheaper than a Gearbox ? I would say clutch too

Clutch it is then! I assume the flywheel will be ok, its a facelift anyway so I dont want to upgrade it. Could anyone give me a ball-park figure for fitting? Also, which clutch? The car is never going to exceed 240bhp in my ownership so im assuming oem or equivilent.. :confused:

Oh and stick an LSD in there while they are at it.

Yes it will cost you more, yes it is worth it, but yes you will save a packet if you did it later as the majority of the cost of the clutch replacement is labour and while the gearbox is out, you might as well.

Thanks for the input guys, sorry to hear about your sincros though Griff.. I hope mine aren't the same, what age is your car mate?

Syncro wear depend a lot on how you drive I think. (to do their job, they will wear down...) - so mileage might not quite be a good enough indicator

Ive had new clutch fitted and still have the same problems as you mate think its down to the box in mine

Well I guess all I can do is replace it and hope for the best! I have had a chat with my mechanic friend who has said that it does sound like a clutch issue rather than gearbox, but as is always the case there are no promises!

Cheers! I was braced for a £400 bill, but as it will be a friends garage doing the work hopefully the labour cost will be lower. Still £100 for the job seems very low! Fingers crossed anyway. Thanks for your responses all! :smt023

Back