• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My Facelift Satin Silver EP3 Civic Type R :)

Well, this is my new car so I'll be on here pestering you guys now and then! My Honda Civic Type R, 2004 54 Reg, EP3 Facelift and completely standard apart from a Magnex Cat Back stainless exhaust (oh, and a VTEC light where the fag lighter should be, which is coming out!). Not too loud and not raspy, it'll do for a bit. The car drives great, tight and together.

So, more details I hear you ask. FSH (Honda Main Dealer and TDI North) and just had new air filter, wipers, brakes (Mintex discs and pads) and some other bits, 62k, 2 previous owners, full MOT, 6 months TAX, oil change done every 6k with Silkoline fully synth 5/30, sounds expensive stuff but I've always done oil every 6k myself. It's near mint - I am picky so it has some front stone chips but no dents anywhere, a teeny scratch on the back bumper and thats it. I'd like to sort the stone chips eventually but probably not worth it seeing as they're so common on CTR's. But, the car is exceptional inside and out otherwise for it's age. Oh, theres a couple of tiny kerb marks on a couple of wheels but I will refurb these in time anyway (not that they need it). Toyo T1-R tyres. Unfortunately no aircon, but every other one I saw had it but just weren't as nice a car or comparable milage if they were decent (i.e. 15-20k above this milage on the couple I thought were tidy enough to consider and more money infact). It also has a front speaker upgrade, apparently done from new, so I will have to find more details out about that as it is significantly better than the usual rubbish CTR audio (uses standard head unit though). Had genuine as new CTR floor mats and Honda cill protectors.

I bought it in a private sale from a relatively mature owner who'd owned it for 3 years. It felt a lot of money to someone like me, but in retrospect I think it was probably on the money. I looked at a fair few, I saw some cheaper ones, even some with lower miles, but a lot of these were red (would end up pink with me!) and something about most adverts told me to avoid. You tend to get a feel from most ad's I find. I did want Black or Cosmic Grey but I think that Silver will actually suit me (and my irregular car washing times) quite well.

So that is that. It needs nothing, but I am going to change the coolant ready for winter, wet vac the front seats (they are mint condition but a wet vac won't hurt) and just keep it well maintained initially! It doesn't even rattle inside, I hope that lasts! 100 times better than my old MK4 Golf Turbo. Only two issues I've found since I've done about 120 miles in it, only got it yesterday, are the front passenger brake squeaks a bit but this is maybe due to the new discs and pads and also I have a slight whining noise which could be the alternator belt/pulley.

Anyway, Some pics:

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

new4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys :D Love it all in all, love how you can pootle around and then turn it into a wannabe race car if you keep those revs up!

Once I've got my squeaky brake and whining sussed/sorted I'll be happier. Some basic servicing will get done and then I will just enjoy the car with a few simple mods as time goes on.

Beautiful car there Dave, apart from mine being premier with tints it is identical! I too was after black but for the condition/price etc I couldnt pass it up and like you said its the easiest to keep clean:D

Thanks mate :) Aint had chance to do anything to it yet but just looking after it keeping it nice and clean.

A premier would have been sweet but out of budget for me.

I think I will do the wheels in a light gunmetal and light smoke tints, ABP fast road setup and 35mm springs and some audio bits and leave it at that for now :)

So I've had the car 6 months now. What have I done? Not loads mod wise... but kept up with maintenance and servicing and upgraded small things like spark plugs etc in the process, had new tyres all round, audio has been upgraded (head unit, amp, sub, wiring, associated bits and kept the standard Honda components for now, they're actually decent!). Put some aero blades on, just had my wheels fully refurbed and powdercoated, painted my calipers to add some colour, I removed the daft vtec light and put a fag lighter back in, sensible in my old age now! And thats about it, still mounts up money wise though!

Nothing has gone wrong really in 6 months of ownership bar replacing a couple of bulbs in the heater controls as it annoyed me at night and unfortunately my drivers side window regulator packed up and wouldn't hold the window up! Nightmare at 11pm! And a bit costly by the time it was done :(

But alas, onwards and upwards, the car has been great and spruces up well, it's still in great nick! Especially with the as new alloys now.

Plans? More maintenance and valve clearances are due now... And then mods? Nothing major, just lowered on ABP 30mm springs and associated bits like camber arms etc, new disks and fast road pads and fluid change of course I think should be done, Hondata airbox mod or an induction kit of some sort, I was considering tinted windows (only a light smoke) and JDM wind deflectors but we'll see, new front bulbs as the standard ones are yellow and are like candles! And then new engine/gearbox mounts to tighten stuff up (not particularly neccessary though).

A few recent snaps of the beast :)

S6000942 copy.jpg

S6000945 copy.jpg

S6000947 copy.jpg

S6000948 copy.jpg

S6000949 copy.jpg

S6000953 copy.jpg

S6000957 copy.jpg

Some months on, after the front end started to feel a little loose and disconnected I felt it was time to do the following:

lowered141112.jpg

All done on Eibach Sportlines and sits just nice for me, closed the arch gap up loads IMO. I used DME rear adjustable camber arms, Eibach front camber bolts, Superpro caster increase polybushes, some new track rod ends, fast road alignment setup and an empty wallet.

Sure it looks better but thats not the bit which makes me smile. I cannot describe how much better the car is to drive. Despite being lower it's smoother! It has minimal bodyroll and handles most corners effortlessly, rides lovely, feels tight and together and just drives ace now. No more looseness over rough ground. Can't describe the difference in the drive really!

Makes me love my car again :)

Mine needs a good polish and wax before winter, it aint been done for months lol just quick washes.

Was a minter when I got it but apart from the usual stone chips someone has scratched my rear 1/4 panel and stuck a small dent in my drivers door, so thats more money I'll have pay out to get rid of if I want it as perfect as an 8 year old daily can be :)

Great looking car. I love the EP3 in Silver. Definitely the best colour IMO.

Little advice if you want to improve the handling I would ditch the T1-R's. Great tyres I even have them on my GTR, just rubbish on Honda's. The side wall just isn't up to spec.

I agree, they're poor on the EP3, I've been using Kumho KU39 Ecsta Sports for a while now front and rear and they're a LOT better IMO. Especially in the wet, turn in is sharper/less understeer so I can only assume the sidewall is stiffer but I still expect a bit soft being midrange tyres.

But next time around I should be good to afford premium stuff so I'll give something fancy a bash :)

Back