• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 My sportex thread/ advice wanted too

So ...
My Saturday morning started with jacking the car up.
i had a sortex 2.5 inc pipe,
3 updated exhaust mounts, a standard triangular mount,
and exhaust assembly paste.

So as I started to spray and brush the bolts holding the back box on. I attempted to un-do the bolts.
the flange had completely rusted out and crumbled to dust !
because it crumbled it was free to remove the back box.
Next was the other end ......
The nutts had rusted to a kinda odd lump. / there are no bolts on the cat they are welded studding)
so I removed the pipe from the next break which was just under the manifold.+ Un-clipping the sensors to free the pipe completely

Pipe removed!!

Now to split the cat from the b-pipe . I cut the nuts / studs straight off with a grinder ( cutting disc used)
they fell apart from each other easy. But now I have a cat with no threads to bolt it together again.
i cut the other end of the bolts/studding as the were welded to the cat, the. Drilled them out.

Ready for re-assemble :)

put new rubbers on back box and fitted to hangers on the car . Then the triangular mount and sportex pipe put in place. Abit of paste and bolted together nicely.
Then put a new mount on the cat hanger and hanged in place.
1st I bolted cat to the manifold (to get it into place) them the cat to the sportex pipe
useing suitable bolts to replace the studs I drilled out.

Job done !! - (what should of took an hour for me turned into a day, had to be done as need the car for work)

Now ...
I would like new spring bolts for the back box without being ripped off so please let me no were to get them???

In my option - when the car is parked on a flat road there isn't really a massive ground clearance from the floor to the sportex pipe, so does anyone have any photos of there's they can show me ??

Thanks for reading
Ash

(Thread has been posted on I-phone so I apologise for spellings
or strange lay-out/ mistakes)

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in tyre / exhaust fitting and the bolt your after should be easily obtainable from a local place that does exhaust work. To be honest I wouldn't pay over £5 for two Honda bolts and springs as they don't cost that much to buy in.
I would mail you out some for free but would take a few days to get to you.
As for how low the exhaust is sitting... can you upload a picture so people can see the sort of clearance you have to gauge if its normal or not?

Well I'm after 4( two for the box and two for the manifold), I can pay you for them when you ready?
I can try and get some photos tomorrow and try and up-load to my album ( I don't really no how to get photos on a thread

Well I can grab a few from work tomorrow and put them in an envelope. PM me your address if you don't mind the day or two postal wait?
I won't charge you for them don't worry about it :) So you want 4 x Honda bolts and 4 x Springs?

Late to reply I know but I have just fitted the same middle section and it does seem to sit pretty low, guessing its because its 2.5" diameter.

I'm thinking of buying this system ,what does it sound like and does it fit well ,cheers Dan.

Well it is a direct fit exhaust so there should be no issues with fitment. (does hang a bit lower than standard, so if your car is lowered be cautious).
As for sound it depends on the rear silencer that your opting for also.
Keep in mind that these are not stainless, personally I would (and did) opt for a stainless backbox or system.

Back