• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 My thoughts on Top Gear (Ive owned both EP3 and FN2)

It was an interesting show, I knew it would cause some contraversy amongst the forums with members of both cars. I do wonder who was driving the EP3 when it was racing the FN2.. Surely there cant be so much in it. I bet HUK are reeling at tonights episode :lol:

It was an interesting show, I knew it would cause some contraversy amongst the forums with members of both cars. I do wonder who was driving the EP3 when it was racing the FN2.. Surely there cant be so much in it. I bet HUK are reeling at tonights episode :lol:

I knew the EP would be slightly quicker but there was more than a few car lengths in it :lol: Not sure how much I believe it tbh.

Oh well I don't own either so I don't care!

Very damning for the FN2. Jezza slated it and rightly so. The EK9 was great, the EP3 was more of the same. The FN2 is just not worthy of the badge. Its more marketing toy than road racer. Too much gimmicks and not enough substance.

Maybe now Honda will sit up and take note and give us the FD2 we deserve.

I think the bottom line is this. On a track the EP would be a tad quicker than the FN, as long as it was in the hands of a capable driver, however for the average joe, my money would be on the FN, as it is more forgiving. As for out on the road in the real world, there would be as near as dammit nowt in it. Only you would probably get out of the FN with just as much a smile on your face, and a little more fresh :).

^^ I was thinking the same...unless you are racing them around a track like Clarkson was then there will be little in it ...

I did like his comment about the seat. I know all my mates hate it when the seat resets itself to an upright position after someone gets in or out of the back. I’m just glad the driver’s seat doesn’t have the option to move on the EP3.

Really thought Honda would’ve fixed this on the new model.

the fn2 has to be given a bit more time b4 people keep slating it,they need bit longer to be broken in,then the ep3 owners will defo b eating their words and seeing wot a real type r is all about:D :smt097 ...anyone agree(fn2 owners only):lol:

I think the bottom line is this. On a track the EP would be a tad quicker than the FN, as long as it was in the hands of a capable driver, however for the average joe, my money would be on the FN, as it is more forgiving. As for out on the road in the real world, there would be as near as dammit nowt in it. Only you would probably get out of the FN with just as much a smile on your face, and a little more fresh :).

spot on G.:cool:

I really loved my EP3...but for the 60 miles a day I do to work...the FN2 is much more comfortable.Don't really know what Clarkson meant by the suspension was hard etc etc.

I would definately have another EP3, but not instead of my FN2. I have never noticed one being wuicker than the other..but the FN2 seems quicker but that could be just the illusion of watching the digital speedo shoot up to 3 figures...

If I were single and had no kids, then the EP3 would be my choice...but for the prcaticality of middle age then the FN2 is ideal. Type R ethos watered down? Of course it has...but it will still sell by the bucketload and older EP3's will soon be a familiar sight in Tesco's car parks alongside the saxo's on a Friday night.

I came into work this morning and had loads of abuse form colleagues, but when I said which one would you choose..they all said the FN2. (apart from the one EP3 driver who caould not afford one...but he really wanted one;) )

So to sum it up...

Harsh ride = bollox...softer than EP3
Heavier = yes
kEY that beeps = erm..yes....never noticed it though.
Seat does not return = erm....the EP3 did not even move...only the backrest moved so rear passengers got in passenger side.

I would rather a heavier car with creature comforts than one that is 0.5 seconds faster.....(but you pesky kids don't need that...speed it the way forward eh?)

Yeah i did think that although the ep3 isnt a step down from its predecessor in the way the fn2 is from the ep3. Also iirc the ep3 beats the ek9's lap time on the nurburg!

spot on G.:cool:

I really loved my EP3...but for the 60 miles a day I do to work...the FN2 is much more comfortable.Don't really know what Clarkson meant by the suspension was hard etc etc.

I would definately have another EP3, but not instead of my FN2. I have never noticed one being wuicker than the other..but the FN2 seems quicker but that could be just the illusion of watching the digital speedo shoot up to 3 figures...

If I were single and had no kids, then the EP3 would be my choice...but for the prcaticality of middle age then the FN2 is ideal. Type R ethos watered down? Of course it has...but it will still sell by the bucketload and older EP3's will soon be a familiar sight in Tesco's car parks alongside the saxo's on a Friday night.

I came into work this morning and had loads of abuse form colleagues, but when I said which one would you choose..they all said the FN2. (apart from the one EP3 driver who caould not afford one...but he really wanted one;) )

So to sum it up...

Harsh ride = bollox...softer than EP3
Heavier = yes
kEY that beeps = erm..yes....never noticed it though.
Seat does not return = erm....the EP3 did not even move...only the backrest moved so rear passengers got in passenger side.

I would rather a heavier car with creature comforts than one that is 0.5 seconds faster.....(but you pesky kids don't need that...speed it the way forward eh?)
spot on well said mate,i have a kid and the fn2 is more practical:cool:

Some interesting comments on this thread.

Just to clear things up however:

EP3:

EP3small.jpg

FN2:

FN2.jpg

FD2:

FD2.jpg

It's not that hard is it?

Nope Jermal, NSX everytime :D
Just informing people what car is what, as some people are clearly confused. The order has nothing to do with my preference. Otherwise I would have a picture of an Ariel Atom at the top!

I love my EP to bits, though when it comes down to it, its what you want out of a car! Yes there are a few things that niggle people about the FN, but I must admit the front end looks loads better than the EP!

Though FD2 is another level! God I wish I was old enough to afford one!

FN2.jpg
:smt060

Despite the review last night, i still want one of these next, i love the way it looks (in black), the performance and practicallity... just gonna hang on to the clio for a couple of years and then make the change...

That FN2 did look to under steer a fair old bit didn't it, the hammerhead being a prime example. I can only guess the revisions to the rear suspension have removed the front end pointyness of the EP3, the comments about it being like a modern Pug are very true and have being echoed numerous times. I guess they might have actually engineered that in to make the car safer at the limit and less tail happy, although purists will hate that sort of thing (that's kinda like what Lotus did between the S1 and S2 Elise!).

At the end of the day it comes down to what you want more though, something that's a hoot to throw around, or something a little more sedate and better on long runs. That said I'd have to go with something in the Focus ST/Golf Gti range for comfort and easy power though. Anyhow... an interesting review and one that makes for some amusing debate, did anyone actually expect a car with less bhp/ton and more weight to be faster!?

Additionally, comments re the suspension. The Original pre=facelift EP3 suspension was considerably firmer than the revised 04> suspension. This may account for Clarkson finding the FN2 harder than the EP3.

Back