• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 My thoughts on Top Gear (Ive owned both EP3 and FN2)

And Spoon, let us not forget all the old skool Honda fanboys slated the EP for not being a True Type R, due to not having Recaros, LSD, and the front windshield being to thick.

I didn't want to go there...:lol:

we will be having the same arguement in 6 years time.:lol:

winds me up for COD 4 later though G.:twisted:

Why does every body keep bringing up the weight issue?
It's 57 KG, thats about the difference between my wife (7.5st) and JC (prob about 16st) driving the car. That isnt a hugh difference, the driver can easily even out at least some of it.

If JC had driven an FN2 that had a 10,000 miles on the clock, or a non-GT that may have helped gain some of the 1/2 second difference.

The point of a hot hatch is a car that you can live with and have fun with. It's a compromise. If I had wanted a pure sports car I would have spashed out on an S2k, a TT or an Elise.

But I agree with the last page or 2 of this thread- the car is great, so was the old one and I love my FN2.

Last edited by a moderator:
And Spoon, let us not forget all the old skool Honda fanboys slated the EP for not being a True Type R, due to not having Recaros, LSD, and the front windshield being to thick.

Its a very good point you make, folks did. To be honest the EP3 was my first drive of a Type R (Although Ive since driven the lot barring the NSX and FD2) so I was new to the breed and therefore approached the EP3 objectively, even though I will admit I wasnt initially impressed with the first press releases I saw. It took a test drive for me to warm to the car. Later drives in the DC2, DC5, EK9 and ATR have shown the EP3 is far from the definitive Type R (In the absence of driving the FD2 and NSX that award sits with the DC2 imo), but I feel the EP3 is at least is worthy of its Type R moniker. Yeah ok in UK trim it lacked the LSD, Recaro's and thinner glass of the purer NSX, DC2 and EK9 that had gone before it, but considering the DC2 and ATR, the only previous Type R's offered to the UK, hadnt exacly been a runaway success in terms of sales, it was bold of Honda to offer a car far more uncompromising than the ATR it replaced in the first place. The Recaro's and LSD etc were ditched from the UK car in a bid to pitch it at a knock down price to get folks interested. And it was a sales success as a result. The thing with the FN2 is that Honda seem to have warmed the UK to the Type R, and then drastically changed what the Type R is all about, at least here in the UK anyway. And for that reason I cant help but think they've messed up a bit.

You and I have talked before about this, and you know I think Honda should have made more of the Type S badge. Take the current FN2 CTR and put a Type S badge on the boot and every motoring magazine, Top Gear included, would be nodding in admiration at what is a likeable warm hatch, much as they did with the Ford Focus ST170. But then give us a harder, meaner less cosseting more focused model that appeals to drivers like me and the countless other enthusiasts who want their hot model to be just that, hot. Ford have proven it can be done with the ST and RS badges, so have Renault with the Sport and Cup/Trophy versions of its go-faster models. There is room in every showroom for a fast model with the luxury spec and a stripped out pared back animal. Honda seem to have missed this point completely, and as a result the new CTR is not the step on many of us hoped it would have, no should have been.

Dont think Im a hater. Ive driven the FN2, and I like it, its a very good car. But its not the EP3 replacement I hoped for. For that I suspect I will have to wait until I get a go in the FD2.

Hey everybody sorry just picked up on this thread........
Lots of very interesting statements.... and obviously people defending their own choice of Type R.......
The way i see it (and this is only my opinion) we all have our own taste but one thing we all share is we are massive fans of the red badge...... i own an EP3 type R which i know was a bit of a waterd down version given to us here in the UK.... but what a base to work with, an amazing chassis and enough tuning potential to make you bankrupt......... anyway Honda make superb drivers cars even the ones we recieve here in the UK and as a massive track day enthusiast you cant go wrong with turning up in any Type R (obviously i think my EP3 is the best:lol:)

For a min then I thought I was on Cliosport.net on the 182 vs CTR thread...:rolleyes:

The difference being this is at least in the most part healthy debate...

... except for Spoon of course who always seems to pick the losing side in an argument for some reason, bad luck I guess :p

:D

(only jokin')

Was an interesting episode. I haven't driven an FN2 so couldn't comment.

My EP3 seat does that all the time

Can wait though to drive my EP3 when I'm back from Oz for Xmas/Year (haven't driven it for 9 months)

Big V8's are great, but can't wait for VTEC again :twisted:

The original Stig (Black suit) recorded the 1.36.5 on the track in damp conditions. When the new Golf GTi was launched, the white suited Stig pitted it against the main rivals and relapped in the facelift EP3, which turned in a 1.32.8 on a dry track, faster than the Golf, Leon R, Megane 225, and Cooper S Works that were also in the test. Thats where the time Harv quoted came from.

So there you go:

1.32.8 EP3
1.33.5 FN2

:rolleyes:

Why does every body keep bringing up the weight issue?
It's 57 KG, thats about the difference between my wife (7.5st) and JC (prob about 16st) driving the car. That isnt a hugh difference, the driver can easily even out at least some of it.

AFAIK
EP3 aircon = 1204 KG
EP3 non aircon = 1190 KG

FN2 Std = 1302 Kg
FN2 GT = 1326 Kg
GT + Satnav: 1331 Kg

Back