• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

need help with Meguiars Ultimate products

hi all!

its been a while!!

i'm thinking of getting the new Meguiars Ultimate polish and the Ultimate wax, but also noticed they do a Ultimate compound.

i emailed Megs to find out what the difference was and they said the compound was an abrasive product to remove faints scratches/swirls.
the polish is for a deep wet look finish.

my question is which one do i buy? i have not polished/waxed my car (FD2 CW) for a while. which one do you recommend?

i know i will have to buy the wax to seal it in.

thanks

anyone??

i dont know much about detailing and i dont want to buy the wrong product! more importantly i dont want to mess my paintwork up!!!

The ultimate compound has more abrasives in therefore more cut when used with a machine polisher. If you cars paint is ok then just go with the polish/wax combo. It's all in the prep mate to achieve greater results, like claying, detarring ironx etc etc, , if you need any info mate pm me

thanks mate.

so am i right in thinking i can only use the compound with a polisher then? as i dont own one!

also, i have read and correct me if i'm wrong, if i polish then wax, this will seal in the "bad paintwork", so no real benefit?

and what are the benefits of using a quality polish?

thanks.

Hi, you will get far better results with a machine polisher rather than by hand so you won't remove the swirls if you have any. What you can do is mask/hide them by using something like autoglyms super resin polish then follow up with a wax of your choice

None

The best way to detail IMO is! Step1: to wash the car but not with a sponge as this creates swirl marks, and wash gently with not to much soap! step2:meguiars deep crystal paint cleaner as this helps removes swirl marks and gently cuts paint down step3 clay bar the entire car to remove contaminants on the paint work and create a glass like finish! Step4 auto glym super resin polish to bring the shine back Step5 wax the entire car with a wax of your choice to protect the paintwork! Then step6: make a cup of tea and admire the shine! Remember swirl marks are very hard to get rid of and will probly need to be done by a professional! Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to detail IMO is! Step1: to wash the car but not with a sponge as this creates swirl marks, and wash gently with not to much soap! step2:meguiars deep crystal paint cleaner as this helps removes swirl marks and gently cuts paint down step3 clay bar the entire car to remove contaminants on the paint work and create a glass like finish! Step4 auto glym super resin polish to bring the shine back Step5 wax the entire car with a wax of your choice to protect the paintwork! Then step6: make a cup of tea and admire the shine! Remember swirl marks are very hard to get rid of and will probly need to be done by a professional! Hope this helps!

This is no the best way to roll.

Bob, a compound is the heaviest cutting polish, so this removes deeper scratches, marring, and swirls. I've never used their ultimate compound but I would imagine it is only suited to machine polishing, and if you tried by hand you would most certainly leave hollograms and marring.

Wash, and clay your car, use some AG SRP, but work it in, don't just expect the polish to do the work, work a panel at a time. Then AG EGP to add an easy sealant stage, then when you have done all the sundry areas of your car; wax the bodywork with a nice wax. If you like MEGS, I would say Megs#16 - beautiful wax for the money.

They are not hard to get rid of as long as you are competent with a dual action or rotary machine polisher and using the correct pad/polish combination for your paintwork. Hondas paintwork does correct quite easily and you dont need to go to a pro to achieve this. i do this because i enjoy detailing and have had some great results on a variety of motors.

Here is a wash procedure i found on another site for you to look at which is just a guide. you can choose any companies products you wish

WASH

Kartcher Jetwash
Hozelock 30m Pro Hose
Chemical Guys Buckets + grit guards
Meguiar's APC
Werkstat Auto Body Wash
Turtlewax Noodle washmit

DRY

Poorboy's Waffle Weave Towel

CLAY/Decontaminate

Sonus ultra fine detailing clay (If required/every 6 months)
Meguiar's Last Touch (If required/every 6 months)
Iron X (If required/every 6 months)
Valet Pro citrus tar and glue remover (If required/every 6 months)
Poorboy's Deluxe Mega Towel

Sealant

Werkstat Prime Strong (If required/every 6 months)
Werkstat Prime (If required/every 6 months)
Werkstat Acrylic Jet Trigger (Every wash)
Werkstat Acrylic Glos (Every wash)

Interior

Poorboys natural look dressing/APC
Dyson

Wheels

Bilberry wheel cleaner (Every wash)
Meguiar's Wheel brightner (If required)
EZ Detail Wheel Brush
Raceglaze Detailing brush set
FK 1000P (If required/every 6 months)
Meguiars Endurance Tyre Shine (Every wash)

Full Detailing/Swirl removal

Meguiar's Dual action Polisher
Merzerna 85RE
Merzerna 203S
Lake country Pads Various 140/100mm
ReAgent Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)
Autoglym Metal polish __________________

thanks peeps. some good info there.

going to go for:

1) Megs NXT car wash
2) Megs Step 1 paint cleaner
3) Megs Ultimate polish
4) Megs Ultimate Wax.

does this seem like a good combo?

i think this should keep me busy on a sunday!!

cheers guys.

hi all!

its been a while!!

i'm thinking of getting the new Meguiars Ultimate polish and the Ultimate wax, but also noticed they do a Ultimate compound.

i emailed Megs to find out what the difference was and they said the compound was an abrasive product to remove faints scratches/swirls.
the polish is for a deep wet look finish.

my question is which one do i buy? i have not polished/waxed my car (FD2 CW) for a while. which one do you recommend?

i know i will have to buy the wax to seal it in.

thanks

The megs ultimate compound is ok and dusts and fills far less than stuff like SRP, but it's ok by rotary polisher. If you don't have one then your not going to achieve that much apart from getting more gloss back into your paint, but you won't remove many marks unfortunately.

A good combo for a good prep and then wax, is lime prime and then any dodo wax/other wax, or primo amigo and any carnauba wax (no cutting power), the list could go on... What's your budget for a wax? Ez creme glaze and glossworkz are good prep cleaner glazes, that fill swirls but don't remove..... Any advise I can give you mate.... Give me a shout

thanks peeps. some good info there.

going to go for:

1) Megs NXT car wash
2) Megs Step 1 paint cleaner
3) Megs Ultimate polish
4) Megs Ultimate Wax.

does this seem like a good combo?

i think this should keep me busy on a sunday!!

cheers guys.

If your going for that combo, you could miss out on the paint cleaner as the compound will do a lot of what that will do. The ultimate wax is ok, but check out megs#16, very good for it's price tbh

If i do a big clean i use

1) Megs NXT Car wash
2) Megs Ultimate Compound
3) Megs Deep Crystal Polish
4) Megs NXT Wax

Back