• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

new brakes..

im not overly impressed with the brakin power of the standard ctr brakes...was checkin out others and thinkin of forkin out for the spoon calipers and gettin some spoon pads aswell. these worth the money as i assume itll come in around 1500 all fitted. is it worth my time to replace the discs and hoses aswell ? ..any other suggestions/advice welcome as im not totally set on the spoons yet and could be converted with good reason

For that money mate your as well uprating to the stoptechs, brembos which come with bigger discs also. The spoons work with the standard disc and will still be a massive step up, but if your buying new then the stoptechs at 1,299 from abp seem to be the best bet

i fitted goodridge hoses and ferodo pads to my 51 plate, for the same reason as you. Definite improvement, but i imagine not in the same league as these stoptech things

I wouldnt bother with the Spoon ones, they are only slightly better then the standard ones, you are mainly paying for the name.

Stoptechs are very good (I have on my ex racer) and TGM do a Brembo conversion.

But with any of the kits with 'floating' 2 peice discs they need a bit more TLC especialy with our salty roads:rolleyes:

For a 3rd of your budget you could get some AEM powerslot big disk upgrade, Depends what you use your car for really.... fast road AEM track days Stop-tech

im definately likin the look of the stoptechs and have heard pretty much positive reviews all round from them.. anyone had any bad experience with them i should know about ?

I wouldnt bother with the Spoon ones, they are only slightly better then the standard ones, you are mainly paying for the name.

Stoptechs are very good (I have on my ex racer) and TGM do a Brembo conversion.

But with any of the kits with 'floating' 2 peice discs they need a bit more TLC especialy with our salty roads:rolleyes:

:eek: How should I be looking after them - anything in particular

^^ Me mate?, no I just have them on the front you can get 2 pot calipers for the rear im pretty sure, but you dont need them.

I was told that upgrading the brake reservoir tank thing (dunno what its called) from a dc5 say would improve them further as the standard pump is only for the single piston.

Anyone any ideas whether this is the case and a worthy mod

ive been told though that if u have performance brakes on the front and just the standards on the back it can cause problems with braking through corners...have no idea if this is true any experience with this at all?

^^ I have the stocks on the back even the standard pads and I have to say the stoptechs are nothing sort of amazing the car drives how it should now and there is no problem in the bends.

Get them :twisted:

ive been told though that if u have performance brakes on the front and just the standards on the back it can cause problems with braking through corners...have no idea if this is true any experience with this at all?

You shouldn't be braking through corners.

think i might just do that bro specially when your avatar guy looks so intimidating lol... ill probably get some rear discs at somepoint aswell...know anyones that go well for rear ?

You shouldn't be braking through corners.
i know you shouldnt be braking through corners but im sure yer aware there are times when taking a a bend there may be a sunday driver who happens to be goin slightly slower than yerself and if overtaking aint possible you either have to brake or well.... die..so i choose brake lol

i know you shouldnt be braking through corners but im sure yer aware there are times when taking a a bend there may be a sunday driver who happens to be goin slightly slower than yerself and if overtaking aint possible you either have to brake or well.... die..so i choose brake lol

Won't really be an issue on the road, you could run into issues with the brake balance on track but I wouldn't stress too much on the road.

cool... as i said i dont know much about brakes and was just someone in work told me so was curious.. cheers for the help though bro

Last edited by a moderator:
think i might just do that bro specially when your avatar guy looks so intimidating lol... ill probably get some rear discs at somepoint aswell...know anyones that go well for rear ?

Buy them off the guy on here mate he is up in aberdeen I dunno how close you are to thetre. As for the rear I havent even thought about them but id probaly get some ebc discs and pads and uprate the hoses to goodridges.

Also like I said I wonder if the pump thing off the dc5 is a worthwhile mod as potentially I could make them even better :twisted:

found thm on funky power for just a few bucks more. and by time i drove to aberdeen id probably make the costs back anyway ...but if i can make a day out of it i may just do that

Back