• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FL5 New Civic Type R

Now September to see it without camo.

September now for it un camouflaged appearance:(

Read a similar thing, saying uk supply will be very low, a few hundred cars max. Guess this helps with co2 figures in the UK somehow.

Also read contrary to what I'd read previously that all type r will made in USA including the RHD ones.

I suspect there might be a few tweaks, America is huge for the car and with the Corolla GR getting huge coverage you have to wonder if the minor changes to power and handling are going to be enough. Along with a dulled down exterior.

I think your right, if the corolla GR was coming here I must admit I'd take it over the new type R I think.

Although a big part of that thinking is I would be keeping my fk8 along with it.

I have read that the Corolla GR is NOT coming to Europe.

Something about the rule of 3 that Toyota have, so this will be the 4th GR model sold in Europe (GR86, Supra GR and the Yaris GR being the 3 currently sold).

Yer its not coming , I was on the yaris gr list but was booted off as all the allocation for this year has gone. Slim chance it may mean the corolla can come to the UK in 2023 in line with the rule of 3.

I think at launch it will be the standard white, red, black , grey and maybe 2 other colours fair chance boost blue will be available, phoenix yellow would be a bold option.

Might see a return of silver

This could end up with the same shambles as the GR86.
I had a deposit with my local Toyota dealer back in March & was promised a Sept delivery with demos arriving in June.
Come April my deposit was returned & I was told to go on-line 20th April @ 10.00am to secure a car.
Some people who managed to get their order in immediately when the Internet auction opened at 10.00am are due their car in a matter of days.
I got my order in at 10.36am & might not get a car until next summer.
The whole allocation was only around 400 cars, I really don't understand how the whole build process works!
Will Honda go the same route with Internet ordering for the Type R?

Well it seems only a few hundred type r will be coming to the uk. Some dealers are apparently taking deposits, I've asked 3 and not found one yet that will. Tbf I'm leaning towards not even trying to chase one down, I can't get on with the side and rear qtr profile views, and £40k is silly money for a civic. Especaily a civic which it now seems is basically a restyled fk8 with a few chassis tweaks and the same engine/gear box / brakes / seats package they have been using since the fk2 in 2015.

40K!

Anybody remember the good old days when the best hot hatch at the time (EP3) was 16K. Ok, it had a 3 month waiting list for the first few years, but 40K!!

Last edited:
I won’t be buying one at £40,000. This discussion was had when dealers were marking up the FK8 when production stopped, the Type R isn’t a 40k car. Also currently will put it into higher tax brackets if mark up pushes it above. I’ll be keeping the FK8

The whole market has moved up so £40k doesn't surprise me. An M3 with a few options is now £90k. so it feels like fair value to me, provided Honda delivers a worthy successor to the FK8.

Hopefully they will but unfortunately it will be fitted with the new speed limiting software. Although we’re meant to be able to turn it off it won’t be long before you cant. Another reason for keeping the FK8. That’s not Hondas issue though, that’s the EU directive that we’ve followed.

Its basically a restyled fk8 with some chassis tweaks, so it will be a bit better I reckon. Then same engine, gearbox , brakes , seats they have been sticking in a type r since 2015. Can't see it being a step back more a slight evolution.

Apparently there are rumours of paddleshift being an option. I can't see that at all. I do like the interior of the new Civic, particularly the honeycomb mesh that goes all the way across. The body style, I don't know - it's not particularly good looking, not particularly mental. I'm sure it will look alright in Type R guise, but right now it kind of looks like a Kia, or a Hyundai, or anything kind of vaguely Korean and nondescript.

I have 2 Honda stealerships near me, may pop to them both on Saturday and see if they are taking refundable deposits, if they do, great, will have a look later on and make my mind up, if not, I have a fantastic FK8, win / win as far as I`m concerned.

Back